turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved in 2016 and rented my primary residence out when I left. I'm working on mortgage interest tax deduction. It asked me in 2 places...

Can I deduct a portion of the mortgage insurance for the period I lived in the house and then another portion during the rental period?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I moved in 2016 and rented my primary residence out when I left. I'm working on mortgage interest tax deduction. It asked me in 2 places...

Yes, if you rented your house to someone else after you moved out, you would report the rental income and expenses for the period it was rented under Rental Property and the allowable remainder as Itemized Deductions.

Two areas to take note:

1. Be sure to check the box for "I converted this property from personal use..."
  2. Indicate that the property was not rented all year and enter the number of days it was rented (enter "personal days" only if you occupied the property while it was rented).

You will need to allocate your shared expenses for the year based on the number of days the property was rented. Enter the rental portion as rental expenses and the balance of mortgage interest, property taxes, and PMI under Deductions & Credits >> Your Home.

See the instructions below for more help entering income, expenses, and capital assets (building and improvements) for your Rental Property:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you rented your house to someone else after you moved out, you would report the rental income and expenses for the period it was rented under Rental Property and the allowable remainder as Itemized Deductions.

Two areas to take note:

1. Be sure to check the box for "I converted this property from personal use..."
  2. Indicate that the property was not rented all year and enter the number of days it was rented (enter "personal days" only if you occupied the property while it was rented).

You will need to allocate your shared expenses for the year based on the number of days the property was rented. Enter the rental portion as rental expenses and the balance of mortgage interest, property taxes, and PMI under Deductions & Credits >> Your Home.

See the instructions below for more help entering income, expenses, and capital assets (building and improvements) for your Rental Property:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is extremely helpful!  Thank you so much for the detailed response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies