Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a house my first one I paid in full I want to rent it out but it needs work so it isn’t rentable I don’t know how to do taxes on it

My primary residence is not my home it’s my fiancé
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I bought a house my first one I paid in full I want to rent it out but it needs work so it isn’t rentable I don’t know how to do taxes on it

If you purchased the house outright, then you do not have a mortgage or mortgage interest to deduct.  Also, it has not been placed into service as a rental property yet, so you would not have any Schedule E income or expenses.

The only thing you would be eligible to deduct at this time would be the property taxes that you paid in 2022.  It does not have to be your primary residence in order to deduct the property tax.  However, you must be claiming itemized deductions in order to receive a possible tax benefit for the deduction.

Use the following steps to go to the section of your return to enter the property tax amount:

• On the top row of the TurboTax screen, click on Search  
  • This opens a box where you can type in “property tax” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) 
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to property tax
  • Click on the blue “Jump to property tax” link and enter your information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you purchased the house outright, then you do not have a mortgage or mortgage interest to deduct.  Also, it has not been placed into service as a rental property yet, so you would not have any Schedule E income or expenses.

The only thing you would be eligible to deduct at this time would be the property taxes that you paid in 2022.  It does not have to be your primary residence in order to deduct the property tax.  However, you must be claiming itemized deductions in order to receive a possible tax benefit for the deduction.

Use the following steps to go to the section of your return to enter the property tax amount:

• On the top row of the TurboTax screen, click on Search  
  • This opens a box where you can type in “property tax” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) 
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to property tax
  • Click on the blue “Jump to property tax” link and enter your information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

For 2022 taxes you have nothing to report on SCH E. Your only deductions are mortgage interest paid in 2022, and any property taxes you paid in 2022. They are both SCH A itemized deductions. If you are not itemizing deductions, then it will have no impact on your tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies