Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

teridobie

I am legally blind and have a letter from my doctor. I have less then 20 degrees in both eyes I do not know where to put a value in there is just yes or no

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I am legally blind and have a letter from my doctor. I have less then 20 degrees in both eyes I do not know where to put a value in there is just yes or no

It is just a yes or no question, you cannot put in a value.

The IRS defines legal blindness as being unable to see better than 20/200 in your better eye even with corrective eyeglasses or contacts, or having a field of vision less than 20 degrees

Be sure to get a statement from your eye doctor or registered optometrist verifying the condition of your eyes, and keep it for your records in case the IRS requests it.

Please check out this TurboTax article for more information: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/disability/tax-tips-for-the-blind/L80haiutG

View solution in original post

5 Replies
teridobie

My question was not answered. I know what legal blindness is and I have a letter. Your form does not let me put a value in.. it keeps saying I need a value when it is a yes or no question. It is frustrating to just get the canned definition and no real answers. If it is just yes or no.. why is the form not accepting it..

Where is it asking you that? There is just a question in My Info where you check if you are legally blind.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

It is just a yes or no question, you cannot put in a value.

The IRS defines legal blindness as being unable to see better than 20/200 in your better eye even with corrective eyeglasses or contacts, or having a field of vision less than 20 degrees

Be sure to get a statement from your eye doctor or registered optometrist verifying the condition of your eyes, and keep it for your records in case the IRS requests it.

Please check out this TurboTax article for more information: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/disability/tax-tips-for-the-blind/L80haiutG

teridobie

this was no help at all.. I know what legal blindness I have my doctors letter but your form does not let me answer it. It asks for a value which there is none!!
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Are you using the Online Edition of TurboTax or the Desktop/Download?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies