turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am considering a job as a part time caretaker at my apartment building. I am required to live here, being paid via rent credit. Nothing withheld. Is this taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am considering a job as a part time caretaker at my apartment building. I am required to live here, being paid via rent credit. Nothing withheld. Is this taxable?

No it would not be considered taxable income due to: the requirement to live on the property, it is employer's property, and it is for the convenience of the employer (you might be called upon all hours of the day to take care of some issues on the property. .

There are 3 conditions that must be met to qualify for this to be non-taxable.

Please see attached link to ensure you are meeting all of these. https://www.thebalancesmb.com/when-is-employee-housing-taxable-to-the-employee-4158182

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No it would not be considered taxable income due to: the requirement to live on the property, it is employer's property, and it is for the convenience of the employer (you might be called upon all hours of the day to take care of some issues on the property. .

There are 3 conditions that must be met to qualify for this to be non-taxable.

Please see attached link to ensure you are meeting all of these. https://www.thebalancesmb.com/when-is-employee-housing-taxable-to-the-employee-4158182

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies