turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i edit the capital gains worksheet section three?

i need to take the 0 out of a block in the sales wash section
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

If the wash sale was less than .50 cents you will need to leave the wash sale blank. 

You can make the adjustment on your wash sales to correct this by:

1. Open your return in TurboTax.
  2.  In the Search box enter "wash sales".
  3. Select the Jump to wash sales link.
  4. You will see all of your entries for your sales of stock.
  5. Click on Edit next to the one you need to change.
  6. In box 1g of your stock sale, you can make your change.
  7. Select Continue and answer any follow-up questions.

Once you have made your change, it will be reflected under adjustment for that particular stock sale

I'm not sure where the "0" problem is for the person with the question, but the described fix does not work in my case because somewhere between that 1g and the Capital g/l adj sheet, TT rounds the numbers.  So my numbers (with a wash sale loss of -0.13) show up correctly everywhere except the g/l adj sheet, where the proceeds and basis numbers (3.75 and 3.88, respectively) are each rounded up to 4, leaving a "0" in Part III, which isn't allowed.  But overriding to blank is also not clearing the error. 

TT shouldn't be rounding #s until the very end.  This is preventing me completing my return and I suspect on a line by line audit probably causes other issues.  If this rounding results in either $1 more in tax or less in refund, TT blows their promise.  After using TT for my taxes for about 20 years, this is disappointing.

I don't think you can.  I suspect this is the rounding error issue being discussed on another thread called "TurboTax Early Rounding Issue creating LARGE variances....."  I have the same issue and even with an override deleting the zero, the error won't clear.  If you look up in Section 1, you'll likely see the rounding causing the zero.  I was in your shoes on Sunday when i tripped over the other thread.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The error messaging you are seeing with regard to the wash sale entries is, in fact, a result of the automatic early rounding of the numbers, either imported or typed in by you.  If the wash sale adjustment is $0.49 or less, then it is automatically rounded to zero.  This type of rounding is allowed by the IRS.  Unfortunately, zero is not a valid value for this field, so you will get an error for any field with a $0 entry.

To resolve the issue, you can edit each individual transaction (although not from the screen in the review process) and delete the amount entered in the wash sale adjustment if it is $0.49 or less.  This will clear the error message(s).  

To do this, you will need to revisit the Form 1099-B entry interview.  Use the following steps:

• Use the Search feature by clicking on Search in the top right corner
  • Type in 1099-B and hit enter
  • In the results window, click on Jump to 1099-B
  • Click Edit next to the issuer's name
  • Click Edit beside each transaction that contains a wash sale adjustment amount of $0.49 or less
  • Delete the wash sale adjustment, leave it blank, and then click Done

If you have too many transactions that would require editing, you can consider deleting your imported information and entering a summary of the different categories of transactions reported on your Form 1099-B (short-term covered, short-term not covered, long-term covered, long-term not covered).  This would require you to mail a copy (not the original) of your Form 1099-B from your brokerage to the IRS within three days of filing your return.  Form 1099-B would be attached to Form 8453, which will print with your return.   

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions     @Rerun48

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies