Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get to the Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses & Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets? There is no "Jump to" link.

I am trying to report the sale of a second home. The instructions say to enter "sold second home" in the search bar and follow the "Jump to" link, but no such link appears. Is there another way for me to get to the Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets so I can report this sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I get to the Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses & Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets? There is no "Jump to" link.

To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to investment sales

On the next screen, click Yes

On the next screen, click No

On the next screen, choose Second Home and continue with the section until it completes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to investment sales

On the next screen, click Yes

On the next screen, click No

On the next screen, choose Second Home and continue with the section until it completes.

I divorced last year and sold my half of the house to my ex-wife at a loss. How/where do I report this?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

You don't.  Assuming your home was your personal residence and not a rental property/investment property, when you sell your home, or in your situation, part of it for a loss, such loss is considered a personal loss and is not deductible on your tax return.  Thus, there is no need to report this loss on your federal return.  The situation might be different had you sold your share of the home at a profit, in which case you may have to report any gain on the sale; however, part or all of the gain might be exempt if you had met the requirements for excluding the capital gain.  However, based on your situation, and given what appears to be a personal loss, there is nothing to report.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
huebner9904
Returning Member

I purchased and installed turbotax Premier disk. Where can I find Schedule D (form 1040) to enter Capital Gains and Losses?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Use the following steps to enter the details of your investment sales to be reported on Schedule D:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner) 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “investment sales” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to investment sales
  • Click on the blue “Jump to investment sales” link and enter your information

@huebner9904

I just want to access Schedule-D so I can complete my taxes.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I assume you are using the online version of TurboTax, otherwise you could use the Forms option in the desktop version of TurboTax to bring up schedule D. In the online TurboTax, you can't make entries directly on schedule D. You need to report investment sales as follows to make entries on schedule D:

1. Choose the Federal option on your left menu bar
  2. Choose Wages & Income
  3. Choose the Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto) option
  4. Choose the Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds option

@annpatriciadavis 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies