Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim head of household. I have a rental prop I own I rent thru Airbnb but I have stayed in it >10% of rental days and >14 days.

I have rented it out most of the year, but can consider it "my residence" because I have stayed in it >10% of rental days:
Topic no. 415, Renting residential and vacation property | Internal Revenue Service says it can be considere my residence.  
When I go through the IRS ftax filing tool, it asks me if i paid for more than 1/2 the expenses for a home "in which you lived"
If I can claim my rental property as a "residence", is it considred a home "in which I lived"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I claim head of household. I have a rental prop I own I rent thru Airbnb but I have stayed in it >10% of rental days and >14 days.

Owning a rental property has nothing whatsoever to do with filing as Head of Household.   Are you unmarried or considered to be unmarried?  Do you have a qualifying dependent?

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your marital status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Where do you live the rest of the year? A property that you own, but use as a rental, would not count as you maintaining a home.  Do you have a dependent?  If you do not have a qualifying dependent, you cannot file as head of household.

To file as Head of Household, you have to:

• Pay for more than half of the expenses for a qualifying household
  • Be considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year
  • Have a qualifying child or dependent
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the replies.  I meet the othrr requirements for HOH, I am just not sure if they rental home I rent is a 'Qualifying household".  I am single, and I have 2 qualifying dependents (biological children in college and I pay for > half of their expenses).  I rent the home I own for approx 80% of the year, and stay at that home approx 20% of the year.  The rest of the year (80%) I live with my girlfriend.  My girlfriend owns her home and pays for >50% of the home expenses where we both live.  She does not claim HOH because she has no dependents.  So is my rental home I own not a "qualifying household"? 

As a side note, for 2024 I was considering paying >50% of the home expenses where we both reside (her home) to possibly give me HOH status for 2024.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, your rental home is not a qualifying household for your children or yourself.  We would have to assume by your comments that your children do no live with you in which case you would not qualify for head of household filing status.

Who is able to file as a Head of Household?

To qualify, you have to meet certain criteria. To file as Head of Household, you have to:

If your children live with you in the home of your girlfriend, you would have to show proof of paying more than half the costs and that they live there if they return home.  Also, you mention your children are in college and you pay for half of their expenses, but one key rule is they cannot provide more than 50% of their own support.

A person is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:

• Illness,
  • Education,
  • Business,
  • Vacation, or
  • Military service.

It must be reasonable to assume that the absent person will return to the home after the temporary absence.  This information is found in the Filing Status chapter of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax.

@pcoatsfamily 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies