Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

chiden2

CA Form 568 Line G keeps clearing and stuck in check loop.

Same issue! TurboTax when will this be fixed? 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with this issue, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Having the same issue, no matter what is in the field  on Line G.

adiddy05
Returning Member

I'm having the same issue with the loop for Line G. Did anyone else figure out a solution or how we can finish efiling? Is the only solution sending it in via snail mail?

Called the helpdesk. Was transferred to two people who were both equally stumped. Even did a virtual screen share. Tried deleting the 568 form but it doesn't delete. Uninstalled and reinstalled the program (TT Business Windows 2021) to no avail. One said the looping issue has been added to their debug list but w/no known resolution date. Their only suggestion to file was to print out the entire California state.   I don't have a printer so I'm in a bind. Wish I had better news but thought I would share...

monkeyocean
Returning Member

I am also having the same issue. Is there a fix/patch coming up soon? I really don't want to print out the entire tax and mail it.

adiddy05
Returning Member

I'm speaking with TT Level 2 support now and they're saying they had no record of this bug. Can everyone that has been having issues please call in and report it so there is more awareness/pressure for TT to fix this ASAP? Thank you!

I got to level 2 support at TT last night, along with what I'd almost call a 3rd level of support, and the final answer was to print it out and mail it, which is super annoying. 

The people who helped me were very good, and just as dumbfounded as I was with this issue. So it's not a customer support issue. It's. software bug issue, and it needs to be fixed. 

Funny enough, when I printed out the form 568, Line G didn't even print out, because IT IS NOT NEEDED for my return, because I don't require a schedule L. 

I'd be happy to talk to a tech person at TT to take them through what I did. I have a theory around where the bug is happening. I think that somehow TT is forcing me into line G because of the assets I claimed for deduction with dilution (computers and equipment). Even though none of these items land under the 1065 4a,b,c,d questions to make a schedule L required, somehow the state form is getting a flag that line G is required (or something like this). 

Federal return went through electronically just fine. So, all I can gather is that the Fed form is sending the state a wrong flag, and it feels like it is somehow tied to the asset deduction/dilution worksheet. 

Not sure, but that's my running theory. For now, I've printed out the return, and will mail it in priority mail so I can track it, and will hope that TT fixes this bug for next year. 

*If you want the fix without reading the rant scroll to the last paragraph.

**If after going through all this and you feel like you might have screwed something up just close Turbo Tax, chose, NO do not want to save the file, and when you open Turbo Tax back up again, it should be back the way it was before you started messing with things.

Ok, so I'm in the same boat. I get stuck on the transmit loop and have really worked through this issue. I've talked to a few TT associates and been escalated to the IT department and equivalent with the same response that many of you have received which is, to Print and Mail. Do not let them tell you that the Form 568 cannot be e-filed. California's Franchise Tax Board (FTB) says that it can. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/tax-pros/efile/efile-for-business.html#:~:text=Accepted%20forms,Income%20Tax%...)

and I've E-filed mine.

Mail it in, is not a very good answer but, it is one work around for the time being while they continue to work out this problem. I've also heard from some associates that the elevated tiered help is trying to say that this is not a TurboTax issue...bull! Indeed it is their issue. After dealing with this for a few weeks I've dug deep enough to give more information than I get from most of the help. Some things to note:

1) For future trouble shooting, start utilizing the Forms tab in the upper right corner of the TT Program in the blue header.  Once in, the pane on the left will show all the forms you're using, the first half will show the Federal Return and as you scroll down you will see the State Return and associated forms. Within a form you can right click on most data inputs and choose options to see where it gets that information from "Source Data" or "About" info. Also, it will allow you to Overwrite some data (Be very careful of using this as it can screw up data elsewhere).
Scrolling down to the State Return, all of us in the "Submit Loop" issue, should see a Red Exclamation Mark (These exclamations keep you from e-filing) next to Form 568 pg 1-4, which is were Line G happens to be found. From there you should be able to input the amount for Line G. When you input the amount and hit enter, the Red Exclamation goes away. Yeah, right? Wrong. If you try to go back to "Step by Step" (upper right hand corner where you found Forms) to transmit and file your return, the data will erase again as it has in the past. In-fact I took the time to know that the data erases when you continue from the screen where you check the boxes to mail or e-file the Federal and State Returns.

2) If you look at the Source Data in Forms for Question G, it draws it's data from (Schedule L line 14), from the Federal Return side. The Schedule L is created when you complete the Balance Sheet section on the Federal Return side. Like for many of you, this isn't helpful as I don't have to create a Balance Sheet for my business so no Schedule L (Requirements for needing to create a Balance Sheet: Business make $250k+ or have $1Mil+ in Assets). With no Schedule L won't transmit the data over to Line G on the 568.

This however, gives no reasoning to why when we force the data into Line G, whether through the Step by Step or through the Forms section, it disappears when you go to transmit and file the return or when the loop keeps repeating after you have input the data a hundred times.

Anyway, that was my rant, here is the current Fix to e-file (you might not like it).

In the Step by Step path, go back into the Federal Taxes tab, go to the Balance Sheet tab and select to complete the Balance Sheet after it tells you that you don't have to but you can.
I chose to do "Quick Entry" instead of the Guide Me (I started by going through Guide me and felt like I could screw more things up than to help). The Quick Entry was easy and automatically brought up my Assets, Liabilities and any Depreciation from Prior and Current years and pretty much was correct off the bat so all I had to do was to hit continue and say things in my books look correct (you may need to adjust if you need to but hopefully you won't have to). Once the Balance Sheet says it's balanced, this should fix Question G, Officially. Now click on forms in the upper right corner. Scroll down to your State Return section and see if there are any Red Exclamation Marks. If there aren't any you should be good to file finally! which you can do back in the Step by Step under the File Tab.
If there are Red Exclamations you still need to correct the issues. After creating the Balance Sheet, my Question G was finally fixed but, I had a new exclamation on a different page that was created (568 pg 5-6) where my California Taxable amount was now off by $252; this again was another TT issue as this was $252 of California Adjustments that were showing up in TT elsewhere but, were not showing up on this form, Luckily when I added the missing $252 on this form and labeled it "California Adjustments" it stayed and didn't disappear like our old friend Question G. Once that was corrected and I went back to forms, all Red Exclamation marks were gone and I was able to go and E-File everything. Good Luck to all of you, I know this was a pain in the a$$.

This method in no way releases TT from finding a correct path to fixing this problem for those of us that shouldn't have to complete a Balance Sheet.

*If you want the FIX without reading the rant scroll to the last paragraph. If after doing all this and you feel like you might have screwed something up just close out the program without saving the file, when you open it back up again next time it should be back the way it was before you started messing with things.

Ok, so I'm in the same boat. I get stuck on the transmit loop and have really worked through this issue. I've talked to a few TT associates and been escalated to the IT department and equivalent with the same response that many of you have received which is, to Print and Mail. Do not let them tell you that the Form 568 cannot be e-filed. California's Franchise Tax Board (FTB) says that it can. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/tax-pros/efile/efile-for-business.html#:~:text=Accepted%20forms,Income%20Tax%...)

That you need to mail it in, is not a very good answer but, it is one work around for the time being while they continue to work out this problem. I've also heard from some associates that the elevated help is trying to say that this is not a TurboTax issue...Indeed it is their issue. After dealing with this for a few weeks I've dug deep enough to give more information than I get from most of the help. Some things to note:

1) Start utilizing the Forms tab in the upper right corner of the TT Program in the blue header. The pane on the left will show all the forms your using, the first half will show the Federal Return and as you scroll down you will see the State Return and associated forms. Within a form you can right click on most data inputs and choose options to see where it gets that information from or some form of "About" info. Also, it will allow you to Overwrite some data (Be very careful of using this as it can screw up data elsewhere).
Scrolling down to the State Return, all of us in the "Submit Loop" issue, should see a Red Exclamation Mark (These exclamations keep you from e-filing) next to Form 568 pg 1-4, which is were Line G happens to be found. From there you should be able to input the amount for Line G. When you input the amount and hit enter, the Red Exclamation goes away. Yeah, right? Wrong. If you try to go back to "Step by Step" (upper right hand corner where you found Forms) to transmit and file your return, the data will erase again as it has in the past. In-fact I took the time to know that the data erases when you continue from the screen where you check the boxes to mail or e-file the Federal and State Returns.

2) If you look for the Source data in the forms for Line G, it draws it's data from (Schedule L line 14), from the Federal Return side. The Schedule L is created when you complete the Balance Sheet section on the Federal Return side. Like for many of you, this isn't helpful as I don't have to create a Balance Sheet for my business so no Schedule L (Requirements for needing to create a Balance Sheet: Business make $250k+ or have $1Mil+ in Assets). With no Schedule L won't transmit the data over to Line G on the 568.

This however, gives no reasoning to why when we force the data into Line G, whether through the step by step or through the forms section in a direct input, it disappears when you go to transmit and file the return or when the loop keeps repeating after you have input the data a hundred times.

Anyway, that was my rant, here is the current Fix to e-file (you might not like it).

Go back into the Federal Return, go to the Balance Sheet and select to complete the Balance Sheet.
I chose to do "Quick Entry" instead of the Guide Me (I started by going through Guide me and felt like I could screw more things up than to help). The Quick Entry was easy and automatically brought up my Assets, Liabilities and any Depreciation from Prior and Current years and pretty much was correct off the bat so all I had to do was to hit continue and say things in my books look correct (you may need to adjust if you need to but hopefully you won't have to). Once the Balance Sheet says it's balanced, this should fix Question G. Now click on forms in the upper right corner. Scroll down to your State Return and see if there are any Red Exclamation Marks. If there aren't any you should be good to file finally!
If there are Red Exclamations you still need to correct the issues. I had a new one that showed up on the 568 pg 5-6 where my California Taxable amount was now off by $252 after creating the Balance Sheet; this however was another TT issue as this was $252 of California Adjustments that were showing up in TT elsewhere but, where not showing up on this form, Luckily when I added the missing $252 on this form and labeled it "California Adjustments" it stays and doesn't disappear like our old friend Question G. Once that was corrected and I went back to forms and all Red Exclamation marks are gone, I was able to go and E-File. Good Luck to all of you, I know this was a pain in the a$$.

This method in no way releases TT from finding a correct path to fixing this problem for those of us that shouldn't have to complete a Balance Sheet.

I couldn't get this to work, as I wasn't given the quick entry option, and it led me down a path that I was worried would lead to more problems than not. Thanks for the steps to try, though! 

TurboTax - Please note that in California, we are REQUIRED BY LAW to efile our 568 form. If we are not able to do this, we must request a waiver to mail it in (which technical difficulties is a valid reason). 

I guess I'll need to do this, but seriously, I question whether I'll use your software next year, as this is a real pain in my a$$ and is super inconvenient all the way around. 

Please please please respond here to tell all of us what to do and if you will be fixing this bug soon. I'd still prefer to efile if the fix is coming. 

The lack of communication on this is not helpful, and I will be letting the state know that you are unable to allow us to efile, and that it is happening to multiple people. Given it is state law that we are able to do so (and we paid for the software to do this), I find that those of us running into this problem are due some sort of refund from you, or at least a partial refund. The hours this has taken me is ridiculous at this point. 

Thank you for responding and giving all of us an update. 

Thank you so much for sharing this, this workaround worked for me!  I agree, TT still needs to fix this bug....

Hi matthew54! 

Okay, I went back in and tried your work around again, and finally figured it out and made the balance sheet work! This fixed it, and kept everything else on my CA 568 form correct and as it was before I did this update to the balance sheet manually. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! 

Turbo Tax - This is a horrible work around as far as a bug goes, and I'm just lucky that matthew did lay it out well, and that I had enough courage to go through it without worry. I double and triple checked everything to make sure it hadn't messed with any other numbers, and it hadn't. But, this should never have been something we had to do. When we met the conditions to NOT do a Schedule L/Balance Sheet, line G should never have behaved this way on the state side. 

Please look into this and let us all know when this bug is fixed. I'm already trying to figure out what to do next year if there is no guarantee this is fixed. I can only imagine the pain that others are feeling as they go through this process. 

Thank you!

lorib

I'm glad that it worked for you and hopefully it works for everyone else. In the strangest way, when people start businesses they don't always create a perfect balance sheet and it seems scary to try and figure out later after so much has changed, in the sense you don't want to screw up anything by messing with it. I myself didn't have one and I even tried making it before just to see if that would fix the problem but then I chickened out and cleared out the data that I had added in because it started screwing with other numbers. I'm glad I went back to retry it again and the second way I did it, (Input the Data Myself) turned out to be easier than them walking me through it. 

Cheers to getting this done!

llctaxes, 

I'm glad that it worked for you, It's crazy to think that I was the one that figured this out and not one of the reps that I talked to mentioned about where the source of question G was coming from. Not that that should matter as we didn't have to complete the Balance Sheet but that would at least help their IT department to source where the problem is stemming from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies