turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tschapira
Returning Member

Bad Loan Written Off in 2020 Business Tax Return 1120S. However in 2021, the loan started to perform - what do I do?

In 2020, I had written off a loan (I was the lender) on my 1120S but in 2021, it started to perform. What adjustment needs to be made? Does my 2020 1120s need to be refiled? 

@DoninGA 

@VolvoGirl 

@James-B 

@Michele_H 

#prioryear

#amend

#amendments

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Bad Loan Written Off in 2020 Business Tax Return 1120S. However in 2021, the loan started to perform - what do I do?

You wrote it off as a bad debt? You can amend and that would include the K-1s and any shareholder would have to amend their personal returns.

Carl
Level 15

In addition to ammending the 2020 form 1120-S, you may also have to issue corrected K-1's, and the recipient's of those K-1's may need to also amend their 2020 personal 1040 tax returns. As for amending the personal tax returns, it only needs to be done if the corrected K-1's will make a difference to their tax liability, or change any NOL's or carry over's.

you may even have written off the wrong amount in 2020.  usually, the reason the shareholder loan can't be repaid is because of losses.  losses first reduce your basis in the stock then to your basis in the loan. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies