turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisasemi

When I file my 2018 tax return, will I have to itemize in order to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit that I will qualify for?

There is conflicting information about the differences between "credits" and "deductions", but I cannot find anywhere that answers my question - I'm trying to figure out if I need to "itemize" my deductions in order to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit or if I can use the "Standard Deduction" and still be eligible for receiving the AOTC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When I file my 2018 tax return, will I have to itemize in order to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit that I will qualify for?

You do not have to itemize deductions in order to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit. It's a credit, not a deduction. You can use the standard deduction and also claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit. This does not change in 2018. It was true before 2018, and remains true for 2018 and later.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not have to itemize deductions in order to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit. It's a credit, not a deduction. You can use the standard deduction and also claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit. This does not change in 2018. It was true before 2018, and remains true for 2018 and later.

Now the real question is are you eligible for the AOC ?   If you are under the age of 24 and are not self supporting via earned income like wages or self employment then you are really a dependent of your parent and they are the ones who can take the AOC and your personal exemption... not you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies