turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpower7

Can I claim the student loan interest deduction for payments I made if i am a co-borrower on the loan

I am a co-borrower on my sons student loan.  I am the only person making payments, he has not made any.  My name is on the loan and I am responsible for it so can I deduct the interest I have been paying.  His name is on the 1098-E. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim the student loan interest deduction for payments I made if i am a co-borrower on the loan

You can deduct student loan interest if:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2015

• You are legally obligated to pay interest (ie. you are a co-signer) on a qualified student loan

• Your are not filing Married Filing Separate

• Your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and

• You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can deduct student loan interest if:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2015

• You are legally obligated to pay interest (ie. you are a co-signer) on a qualified student loan

• Your are not filing Married Filing Separate

• Your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and

• You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

cpower7

does this apply to 2016 payments? does the program determing if the modified AGI applies? Thanks!

Yes and yes, the program will notify you if your Modified Adjusted Gross Income is too high.
kenkros

How does this get entered in the program if the student is no longer a dependent?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies