turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does the Deductions tab in the Federal section state that the standard deduction is $8,098 when it's actually $12,000?

I am single and filing my own return. I'm a student and most of my income came from a summer internship. My total income was slightly less than $8,000. Because I'm single, my standard deduction should be $12,000. However, TurboTax states that the standard deduction will save me the most money, but then put that the standard deduction amount is $8,098 for some reason. That's also what the software entered on the 1040 form, page 2 line 8. 

Shouldn't that entry be $12,000? This error doesn't affect what refund I'd get, as my total income was still below the deduction, but I'm still hesitant to file my return if this is indeed an error.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does the Deductions tab in the Federal section state that the standard deduction is $8,098 when it's actually $12,000?

Here’s IRS publication 501.  The Standard Deduction for a dependent is on the Earned Income + 350 or the max for Single 12,000.  See worksheet on page 25

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you being claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am. I just posted more details above as I forgot to when originally asking the question.

If you are being claimed as a dependent then only your total taxable income will be used as your standard deduction if under $12,000

Here’s IRS publication 501.  The Standard Deduction for a dependent is on the Earned Income + 350 or the max for Single 12,000.  See worksheet on page 25

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies