What is "tax free employer tuition assistance" and what qualifies for it?

I don't understand "tax free employer provided assistance" question as I'm completing the information for my 1098t. 

What is tax free employer provided assistance?

I received a Pell Grant, Tuition Aid Grant, Federal Loans (direct, unsub, and parent), and New Presidential Scholar. With this I still had to pay some money to go to school. 

The question asks what portion was tax free employer provided assistance for Box B of my 1098t and I don't know what is the correct answer. 

Tax-free employer assistance is money your employer gave you to pay for your higher education expenses.  If your employer provided this benefit, and you didn't pay tax on these funds, then select Yes to this question.  If not, answer No.

See this TurboTax article Deduction for Higher Education for additional information.

What if my parent’s employer provided dependent free employer tuition. So not my employer, my parent’s employer?

Yes, it is still employer assistance even if it is not your employer.

Good afternoon!  I have a question related to this matter.  I am doing a graduate fellowship with a company, which means I am working for them part time to fulfill some of the credits of my master's degree.  As part of this fellowship, the company is paying for my tuition.  The amount they paid is included in box 12 on my 1098-T.  They paid the money directly to the school.  It was never actually given to me.  Does that mean it is considered "tax free employer tuition assistance"?  Thanks!

This may help, Solved: How to tell if Employer Provided Tuition Assistance is ...

@aprom3 If the link does not answer your question, could you clarify since box 12 does not exist on a 1098T. It would not go on box 12 of your W2. How much is showing where?

My apologies for the confusion.  The amount my employer paid for my schooling is included on form 1098T in box 5.  It is not included on my W2.  Thanks!

It would be considered tax free employer assistance if it was not included in your wage income as reported on your W-2 form.

What if the university provided scholarship funds for my education in exchange for being a teaching assitant at the university would this be considered tax free? 

As long as what they provided was a scholarship and the money was used for tuition it would be considered tax free.

In a nutshell.

All monies received from "ANY" source for "qualified" education expenses is treated as taxable income *INITIALLY*. It's taxability is offset by the "QUALIFIED" education expenses it is used to pay for.

So if employer provided assistance is included in box 5 of the 1098-T and is *NOT* included in box 1 of your W-2, then treat it *EXACTLY* like a scholarship. As far as the school is concerned, that's what it is. Otherwise, they would not have included it in box 5 of the 1098-T.