turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is "tax free employer tuition assistance" and what qualifies for it?

I don't understand "tax free employer provided assistance" question as I'm completing the information for my 1098t. 

What is tax free employer provided assistance?

I received a Pell Grant, Tuition Aid Grant, Federal Loans (direct, unsub, and parent), and New Presidential Scholar. With this I still had to pay some money to go to school. 

The question asks what portion was tax free employer provided assistance for Box B of my 1098t and I don't know what is the correct answer. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Tax-free employer assistance is money your employer gave you to pay for your higher education expenses.  If your employer provided this benefit, and you didn't pay tax on these funds, then select Yes to this question.  If not, answer No.

See this TurboTax article Deduction for Higher Education for additional information.

TyMurr

What if my parent’s employer provided dependent free employer tuition. So not my employer, my parent’s employer?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it is still employer assistance even if it is not your employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Good afternoon!  I have a question related to this matter.  I am doing a graduate fellowship with a company, which means I am working for them part time to fulfill some of the credits of my master's degree.  As part of this fellowship, the company is paying for my tuition.  The amount they paid is included in box 12 on my 1098-T.  They paid the money directly to the school.  It was never actually given to me.  Does that mean it is considered "tax free employer tuition assistance"?  Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

This may help, Solved: How to tell if Employer Provided Tuition Assistance is ...

@aprom3 If the link does not answer your question, could you clarify since box 12 does not exist on a 1098T. It would not go on box 12 of your W2. How much is showing where?

My apologies for the confusion.  The amount my employer paid for my schooling is included on form 1098T in box 5.  It is not included on my W2.  Thanks!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would be considered tax free employer assistance if it was not included in your wage income as reported on your W-2 form.

jcqlnmartinez5
Returning Member

What if the university provided scholarship funds for my education in exchange for being a teaching assitant at the university would this be considered tax free? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

As long as what they provided was a scholarship and the money was used for tuition it would be considered tax free.

Carl
Level 15

In a nutshell.

All monies received from "ANY" source for "qualified" education expenses is treated as taxable income *INITIALLY*. It's taxability is offset by the "QUALIFIED" education expenses it is used to pay for.

So if employer provided assistance is included in box 5 of the 1098-T and is *NOT* included in box 1 of your W-2, then treat it *EXACTLY* like a scholarship. As far as the school is concerned, that's what it is. Otherwise, they would not have included it in box 5 of the 1098-T.

What if the university provided $4,000 in scholarship funds (1098-T has $4000 in Box 5) to my daughter for working for one of the university's sports teams.  She did not receive a W-2 and the money was put directly into her account at the university cashier/bursar.  I have entered the 1098-T information in Turbo Tax including over $9,000 from Box 1 and the next question is asking about tax free benefits.  Is this $4,000 considered tax-free employer provided assistance?  Would I answer Yes, she received this help to pay for school?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, employers can provide employees with tuition assistance that is not accounted for on the w2. The work benefit is accounted for on the 1098-T you received.

@T4Tax

So is this $4,000 considered tax free since it is scholarship funds received and in Box 5 of the 1098-T, but just not considered tax free employer tuition assistance?  She is a full time student and her work was for the university.  I entered the amounts directly from the 1098-T and want to make sure I handle the $4,000 and the scholarship questions correctly.  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@T4Tax If the $4,000 reported on the 1098-T form represented money or other consideration paid to the student primarily for services rendered to the school, then it would be tax-free employer assistance and you should indicate that in TurboTax.

However, If the services she provided were primarily for her education, then the compensation would be considered scholarship income and would not qualify as tax-fee employer education assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies