Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax isn't giving me the option to choose a dependent when I enter a 1098 T. Is defaults to me - as if I'm the student, I am not. How can I get it to populate my son

I've confirmed that all my children are entered and qualify as dependents. I need to enter (2) 1098 T forms - one for each son. But when I go to add them, it doesn't give me the option to choose who the 1098 T is for.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax isn't giving me the option to choose a dependent when I enter a 1098 T. Is defaults to me - as if I'm the student, I am not. How can I get it to populate my son

You need to make sure that you completed all the dependent setup information prior to entering the 1098-T information into TurboTax.  It sounds like you might have started entering the 1098-Ts before all the dependent info was completed.  Please delete any entered 1098-T information and review the Dependent Info setup screens again to insure all the birthdate, social security numbers, etc. is completed.  After you are confident the dependents are setup completely, re-enter the 1098-T information into the Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) screens.

Here are some other options to review for eligibility of the American Opportunity Credit:

• Your filing status cannot be Married Filing Separately.
  • Your student cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return
  • You did not claim the American Opportunity credit for more than the 3 previous years
  • Is enrolled at least 1/2 time in a program leading to a degree.

The American Opportunity Credit can be used not only for tuition paid but also books and supplies needed for enrollment.

Click Here for more information on the American Opportunity Credit

I completed all of the dependent setup steps before entering the 1098 Ts but to be safe I cleared my return and started over. I went through the setup again and once again, my dependents are not listed for me to choose from to assign the 1098Ts to. It’s still defaulting to me as the student and I am not. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name (you cannot change  it and you cannot save your entered info).  After you confirm your deletion, the next screen will allow you to add a student.

I’ve done this many times and each time I add a student, it adds me. It doesn’t give me an option to add someone besides myself. 

This still hasn’t been fixed... any other suggestions?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Perhaps it is a browser issue.  If you are working with the TurboTax App sign out and try using a browser instead.  Also, once in the browser try clearing the cache.  Here is a link with helpful instructions if needed.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies