turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help my daughters 1098T has an amount in box 2 nothing in box 1. Turbo tax does not have a box 2. This amount was paid. College was sold. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Help my daughters 1098T has an amount in box 2 nothing in box 1. Turbo tax does not have a box 2. This amount was paid. College was sold. What should I do?

The IRS has changed the reporting requirements for form 1098-T. Only box 1 is reported and not box 2. Your school has not applied the procedure. But you can still claim the amount you actually paid.

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2018 which should be shown in box 1.

If your box 1 does not show the correct amount paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, leave it blank on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a blue link: What if this is not what (student name) paid to this school? Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2018 (see attached screenshot). TurboTax will use this amount actually paid to calculate your education credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The IRS has changed the reporting requirements for form 1098-T. Only box 1 is reported and not box 2. Your school has not applied the procedure. But you can still claim the amount you actually paid.

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2018 which should be shown in box 1.

If your box 1 does not show the correct amount paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, leave it blank on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a blue link: What if this is not what (student name) paid to this school? Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2018 (see attached screenshot). TurboTax will use this amount actually paid to calculate your education credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies