turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-MISC for reimbursement for expenses for being a medical research patient. Is it taxable, how do I report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I received a 1099-MISC for reimbursement for expenses for being a medical research patient. Is it taxable, how do I report it?

You are correct; this is taxable as Other Income, but it is NOT subject to employment taxes.  To enter it on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Sign into your return and Take me to my return.
  • Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "1099-MISC for Research Study," the amount you received, and who received it.
Thank you for your participation in medical research. 

Hey so on the 1099 form they sent me they have the total amount they paid me. This include travel expanse compensation. Which to my knowledge is exempt. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/research-study-for-rare-disease/00/14...

What do I put on the line? The amount they sent me on the form or the amount I was paid minus travel comp.

For example, if they listed 700 on the form, and 170 of that was travel comp. do I put 530 on the other income box or 700.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Put in $530 for "other income." Travel reimbursements for medical research are excluded from income.  Be sure to keep your travel receipts and reimbursement documents.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tuck
Returning Member

I am in a clinical trial also. How do I report my travel & food expenses?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If your Form 1099-MISC has the income in Box 7 and you report it as self-employment, then you can deduct the travel expenses on your Schedule C.    

If you reported the income as Other Income (not self-employment using the directions above), you can't subtract the travel reimbursement as it is taxable income paid to you and non-deductible on your personal tax return.  

Income for participating in a clinical trial or medical study is taxable.  If the activity is infrequent, the income will not be self-employment income. 

This means is that it is subject to income taxes, but not subject to self-employment tax.  It also will not qualify toward the earned income tax credit or any other tax benefit that is dependent on earned income.

If you did receive a Form 1099-MISC , it is entered under the Wages and Income tab

• Check for More Income and See All Income
  • Click on Show More then  Start beside Other Common Income by the icon of the green money bag
  • Click on Start by Form 1099-MISC.
  • Enter Form 1099-MISC information.  Make sure you enter the amount in Block 3
  • under source of other income, select "other income"
  • "none of the above, show me other options"
  • [You] were in a research study and this was payment,
  • you did not perform a service to earn the money.

To add expenses on a Schedule C:

1. Open or continue with your return.
  2. In the Search box type schedule c. 
  3. Click the “Jump to schedule c” link in.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your Schedule C information.

Click here for information on business travel expense.

Click here for information on reporting self-employment business income and deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies