Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ClassifiedRain
Returning Member

Why won't the IRS take my return after fixing the 1098-T/8863 error?

I keep on getting rejection after rejection alert from TurboTax but I'm literally doing the very thing I was told in the instructions. Other people in past threads have said to delete the cache and cookies and re-enter the 1098-T info which I did verbatim original time and the two times after that. Every time I go in and do it, TurboTax gives me a green checkmark and acts like I've actually made headway. Today it wasn't even an hour between "All set!" and "Your return was rejected again."

I called to make sure I wasn't claimed by anyone else and my mother and the tax lady she has both confirmed that the answer was no, meaning "This return has been rejected by the IRS because there is a student listed on Form 8863, line 21 whose SSN has been listed on another Form 8863 for this tax year." is false. I am the student, I've only ever gotten one 1098-T per year and am not on anyone else's. I've paid $89 to have Intuit do my taxes and I'm extremely frustrated that my money still isn't on the way after all this. Someone please give me actual useful advice.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You haven't told us the reject message and reject code so we could help you.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ClassifiedRain
Returning Member

But I did? The quoted portion is the error I keep getting. “This return has been rejected by the IRS because there's a student listed on Form 8863, line 21, whose Social Security Number (SSN) has been listed on another Form 8863 for this tax year.” This is above in the original I believe.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The only way to "fix" that error (your SS# has already been claimed) is for you not to claim the tuition credit (don't file form 8863).

If you intend to still claim the credit (form 8863), you can no longer e-file.  You will have to mail in a paper return. 

ClassifiedRain
Returning Member

Hi,

Issue is that no one claimed me for this year. My parents didn’t claim the credit per them and their tax woman, so why is my SSN already on something else if no one filed on my behalf? TurboTax is the one that said the AOC applied to me last year and then the Lifetime one this year, I’m literally only going off what Intuit told me to do which is fill in the 1098-T. There was never a page that said “Okay, time to fill out your form 8863.” This is the 4th time I’ve had to redo this despite getting green checkmarks the whole way through and the “guarantee” that they got every credit possible for me. If I can’t claim a credit why does TurboTax keep insisting that yes I can.

@ClassifiedRain wrote:

Hi,

Issue is that no one claimed me for this year. My parents didn’t claim the credit per them and their tax woman, so why is my SSN already on something else if no one filed on my behalf? TurboTax is the one that said the AOC applied to me last year and then the Lifetime one this year, I’m literally only going off what Intuit told me to do which is fill in the 1098-T. There was never a page that said “Okay, time to fill out your form 8863.” This is the 4th time I’ve had to redo this despite getting green checkmarks the whole way through and the “guarantee” that they got every credit possible for me. If I can’t claim a credit why does TurboTax keep insisting that yes I can.

It is an IRS reject.  TurboTax can only tell you what you are entitled to claim and has no access to IRS records of another taxpayer.

If the IRS records indicate that the SSN has been used either as a mistake on somebody else's return or an IRS error then there is no way that YOU can fix that.   All you can do is paper file a correct tax return  and let the IRS sort it out.   

No matter what you do, you will not be able to e-file this year as long as you claim it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies