Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the system recommending a Tuition and Fees Deduction but then it says that that deduction no longer applies after Dec 31 2017.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Why is the system recommending a Tuition and Fees Deduction but then it says that that deduction no longer applies after Dec 31 2017.

The law that extended the tuition and fees deduction, and many other provisions, for 2018 through 2020 was just passed a few weeks ago. The TurboTax software has not been updated yet to reflect the changes in the law. The IRS has not finished issuing revised forms and instructions for the changes, and TurboTax has to wait for that. Try again in a few weeks.

I had the same trouble in 2018 with my college expenses. Look for form 8863. It's called American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits. I was able to write off everything listed on all my semester's detailed breakdown of what I paid for just to call myself a college student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies