turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Dtb49

Turbotax won't let me enter my 1098-t for my daughter (dependent)

I had the same issue. To solve this, go to Tax Tools -> Tools -> Delete Form. Locate the 1098T in question and delete it. Once you do that go back to education expenses and it should prompt you to fill out the 1098T. It seems that this must be some bug if you filed a 1098T in years previously.

Try wly
Returning Member

So what do you do if you didnt realize that you didnt get the tax credit for the 1098t form after you already filed cause it didnt open up the option to place the payment?..we kept trying to find a way to enter box #1 but couldnt find it so we figured it wasnt an option..

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

If you already filed your tax return, you will need to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected by the IRS to determine how to include your Form 1098-T.

If your return is accepted, you will need to file an amended return to add your Form 1098-T. You will be able to amend your return starting 02/12/2020. Once this option is available, please follow these steps:

1. Log into TurboTax and click on "Tax Home"
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show)
  3. Select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  4. Select Amend using TurboTax Online

If your return is rejected, you will need to fix the e-file error and then you will be able to add the Form 1098-T to your return before re-filing your return.

As AnnetteB6 stated in the above message, please follow these steps to enter your Form 1098-T information. Go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled Your Education Expenses Summary, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled Here’s your Education Summary, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

@Try wly

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Try wly
Returning Member

Thanks alot BarbaraW22...

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

You can enter your 1098T by following these steps:

To enter Form 1098-T:

1. Open or continue your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. Search for 1098T and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. Select Yes on the Do you want to enter your higher education expenses? screen.
  4. On the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, select Add A Student.
  5. Select the name of your student (this could be you, your spouse, or a dependent) and Continue.
  6. Answer some questions about the student and then you'll reach the Did [student] get a 1098-T from [school] for 2019? screen. Select Yes and Continue.
  7. Enter the information from your 1098-T on the next screen. When you're finished, select Continue.

Please see this TurboTax Help Article with more details regarding your daughter's 1098T:  1098T Entry

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All,

I'm sitting in 2/2020 (trying to file for 2019), looking back at questions asked in 2019, but I'm having the same problem: $0. And it says I already put that for the Tuition and Enrollment Fees. When I try to get back to where I supposedly put it in, I can't. There is no 1098-T screen.

Maybe the rules have changed?

Signed,

I.M. Frustrated

The rules haven’t changed, there just seems to be a glitch in the software. Go to the actual form and change it there. Once you do that, you can go back and it will correct itself. 

This is definitely not something doable in my TurboTax. It only takes me back to Expenses like books and such. I cannot get to the 1098T screen even though it already says I put $0 in.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a scree titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case.

Details:

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Caspie,

And how do I get to the form itself? 

I.M. Frustrated

You need to go to  lick on Forms on the top of your screen. Locate 1098T from left hand column, and manually enter the info there. Once you do that, you can proceed and it will show the correct tuition amount. 

Are we talking about the same TurboTax? I have the Deluxe version. Online. I see nothing about Forms at the top left. Maybe Documents? When I click on the Documents (kinda upper left), it asks me if I want to upload my 2019 Documents (viewable with MyDocs?).

Appreciate you trying to help.

I.M.

I wish there was a way to upload photos here. I know how frustrating this was for me! Mine is Deluxe as well, I purchased it at Costco and downloaded online. When you’re at the “ Now Let’s Gather xxx Additional Education Expenses” I clicked on Forms which is located on top, to the right of the boxes that show your Federal and State refund (or amount you owe). 

The banner shows the TurboTax logo, then in the middle Federal Refund (or Tax Due),  State Refund (or Tax Due), then to the right of that is Forms, Flags, Notifications. 

I'm still not able to add a second dependent - when I click on 'add a student', it assumes I mean myself.  Does not give me the option to add my other college student.  Any advice?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies