turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTax wont let me enter 1098T info

why cant i enter my 1098|T information into turbotax 2019 version via the easy step interview.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Are you following the below process?

1) In TurboTax Online, enter 1098-T into the search field (magnifying glass) in the upper right of your screen. 

2) Select the Jump to 1098-T button. Even if you don’t have a 1098-T, you can still enter tuition and fees info in this section.

If you are following this process and still experiencing issues, please copy and paste in the error message you are receiving so that we may assist you further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

even after todays update from turbo tax, which includes form 8517, i do as you say and the jump to 1098T goes to the easy step screen saying additional education expenses.   

If i go back, the screen asking about coverdale plan and 1099Q appears, NEVER is there a dialogue about 1098T entry.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit
  • At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

I have three students in college and it skips entering the 1098 for my oldest child.  I can't edit it anywhere.  Any advice?

I was having this problem as well.  What I did was log-out of TT and log back in.  I then started the entire data entry process over again from the beginning (it's not that much of a pain since all the info is already entered and all you need to do is click "next" or "continue" and what not).  Eventually, I got to the Education Benefits portion of the return and the pages I was looking for for the 1098-T ("add a student," etc.), for whatever reason, appeared as they were supposed to.  Worth a shot.

It worked - thank you so much!!

Didnt work for me.  I had to get out of easy step, and go to forms.  entered the info in form, then back to easy step and I could see the tuition amount (where previously it said 0) and continue entering other education expenses.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you are still having trouble entering the Form 1098-T, take a look at the following information.

Start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

It should allow me to edit the number on the 1098t line which it does not. Why has turbotax become hard to use this year?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Try these instructions to edit your 1098T.

To enter your 1098T in TurboTax online use these directions:

• You should be signed in and working in TurboTax
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand black menu
  • Then click on Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click on More Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Education, click on Show More
  • Click on Expenses and Scholarships (1098T)
  • A couple of screens in click Add a Student
  • Answer the questions on the following screens until you come to Your Education Expenses Summary
  • Next to the name of the student, click on Edit
  • Next to the name of the school click Edit

For more information about Education expenses and credits click here.

@bcunningham

I finally found a workaround as it wasn't letting me enter the form. My son's name was under education expenses from last year and I was able to click on the edit button under his school and then the form came up. The jump-to didn't take me there as I kept getting an error that I was above the income limits. I still needed to add it, though to prevent my college savings plan withdrawal from being added as income.

Hal_Al
Level 15

"I still needed to add it, though to prevent my college savings plan withdrawal from being added as income"

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. You also cannot count expenses that were paid by tax free scholarships. 

References:

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies