turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpallbee
Returning Member

The American Opportunity credit is not calculating all 3 of my children's expenses correctly. $4000, $4000, and $2939 even though they should all be $4000.

They are all full time students.  The maximizer is used and says this is the best option.  Depending on which child gets entered last depends how the numbers work out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The American Opportunity credit is not calculating all 3 of my children's expenses correctly. $4000, $4000, and $2939 even though they should all be $4000.

If your credit is being phased out no matter which order you put the expenses in for your children, it may be due to your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI).

In order to receive the full credit amounts, your MAGI must be $80,000 or less ($160,000 or less for married filing jointly). You receive a reduced amount of the credit if your MAGI is over $80,000 but less than $90,000 (over $160,000 but less than $180,000 for married filing jointly).

To get your MAGI, please read about the MAGI calculation on TurboTax's page What is the Difference Between AGI and MAGI on your Taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jpallbee
Returning Member

Nope - we are under $160,000

jpallbee
Returning Member

Hi, 

My MAGI is less than 160,000, so it should not be phasing out.  Can you please advise?

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you know your total qualified expenses are $4000 (or more) and you're getting something less, you've made an error in the interview.

Go thru the interview again and/or review the student information worksheet to see if you can find it. Is box 1 of that student's 1098-T $4000+ more than box 5?  That's usually all you need to enter. 

You may have to delete and start over (on that student).  

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to that student's name.  You'll then get the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen again.  Click the "Add a student" button.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies