turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loan interest

I have two student loans with the same lender US Department of Education that's through Great Lakes. (they're both in my name) I've got two questions. Do I need to list the student interest on these two loan separately or can I combine the interest from the two loans since they're both in my name and the same lender? Also when I list the name of the lender should I list the US Department of Education and Great Lakes or is US Department of Education enough information? Thanks 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Student loan interest

I did receive two separate 1098-E forms for the two loans. So I would assume I'd report them separate even though they're both in my name and through the same lender 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Student loan interest

You should report them separately. It will appear as one amount on your tax form, but when you electronically file, the IRS gets the back-up information. In addition, they will look more at the EIN for identification, rather than the name.

Student loan interest

It didn't have a box for me to enter a EIN number. It only had a box for the lender name and the second box was the amount of interest. Should there be a box for a EIN number for the lender? Thanks for your answer

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Student loan interest

You are correct. It does not ask for it this year.

Student loan interest

If I didn't physically make any payments to my student loan, but I reconsolidated and received a 1099 - do I still claim that paid interest? 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Student loan interest

@smilesatcamp.  Yes, include on your return that you paid student loan interest.  With consolidation, your old loans (principal plus interest) are “paid off.”  So in the process, you effectively paid interest on these loans.  You may get a tax deduction for student loan interest paid.   As long as your income is less than the threshold, you’ll get a tax break for student loan interest paid, even though you didn’t actually make a payment toward your loans.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mklebe6

Student loan interest

Can I deduct student loan interest I am paying for my adult daughter?

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

Student loan interest

You can possibly deduct the student loan interest for your daughter, depending on the circumstances. If you took out the loan yourself (so your name is on the 1098-E every year), and she was your dependent and an “eligible student” at that time, then there’s a good chance.

Here’s a TurboTax discussion about the 1098 issue, and here’s the IRS describing the basics of qualifying for the deduction. They also give us some more hoops to jump through (which many people skip) here in Publication 970. (The “Adjustments to Qualified Expenses” thing can be really messy to figure out, especially years later, but the main point is that the loan was indeed used for education, and that there were enough related expenses to justify this deduction.) I hope this was helpful, @mklebe6!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies