turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

screen to enter 1098T not appearing

The "Did [student] get a 1098-T from [school] for 2019? screen" is not coming up for me, so I am not able to enter my 1098T information.  Here is the process I followed:

In the"Deductions and Credits" section I scroll down and click on "Visit All" next to "Scholarships, student loans, tuition".

I say "yes" to "Did you have any higher education expenses in 2019?"

It does not take me to the screen to enter my 1098T information.

Instead it takes me to "Tell us about your education plans", where it asks if I received a 1099Q or have a Coverdell ESA.

I answer "no" to the ESA and "yes" to the 1099Q.

Since I used TurboTax last year, it pulls in the Payer names from last year's 1099Q's.

I click "edit" on one.

I click on that it is for one of these dependents, and "continue".

I select my student's name, and "continue".

Then it tells me "You don't need to enter this 1099-Q info".  I click on "skip".

Now the name of the Payer has disappeared from the listing of 1999Q's that I still need to enter (bad thing).  I click on "continue".

It says "Now let's gather [student's] additional education expenses".  I click on "continue".

It asks "Did [student] pay for books or materials to attend school?"

Below that there is a link for "Tuition and enrollment fees", which currently shows $0 of course (because I have not entered my 1098T information).

If I click on that link it explains the meaning of the field and says "Note: you entered this number in earlier"

... which of course I DID NOT because it never gave me a place to enter it !!!

How/where can I enter my 1099T information?  What am I doing wrong?  I don't see any steps that I skipped?  Is this a bug in the TT Deluxe + state download version?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I see in another thread that you were able to resolve your inputs.  I'm re-posting the solution here to perhaps help others.

To enter you Form 1098-T information, start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

20 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I see in another thread that you were able to resolve your inputs.  I'm re-posting the solution here to perhaps help others.

To enter you Form 1098-T information, start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

I have tried every suggestion listed in the FAQs and other support answers but I still am not getting the screen where I can enter the 1098-T.  Its not giving me the screen that says "Did student get a 1098-T from school for 2019?"  I've even reinstalled the software and same problem.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Here is how to address the issue:

Go to the Education Section under Deductions & Credits

Start at books and supplies. KEEP GOING. You can't jump to, you can't hit back KEEP GOING as though you have entered a 1098-T
Do NOT put in scholarship amounts when it asks if the scholarship is listed on Box 5 of the 1098-T because you are about to double up. KEEP Going. you are about to circle back.
Go through all screens. If says can't maximize because no expenses do not fret, Go all the way until it circles back to the Wages and Income screen.
You will be taken back into Education credit and click Edit on the student. It will ask if you had education credit.
Once you do you may see the Summary Page of the student. Hit edit on the top one that reads Tuition.
Finally it will ask if you had a 1098-T you say yes, and THERE IS WHERE YOU ENTER THE 1098-T

monier123
Returning Member

Thank you it was very helpfull

For me the 1098T screen did not appear until I finished entering all of my 1099Q info and got to a screen that listed all of my colleges.  I was then able to click on Edit next to one of the colleges and enter the 1099T info.

Again, I think TurboTax should make this more intuitive.  When you search for and go to 1099T, it should take you to a screen where you could directly enter the 1099T information, including the school info.

Hope this helps!

FINALLY! I spent nearly an hour trying to figure this out, looping around again and again. This member's answer solved my problem. I was finally able to enter my daughter's 1098-T. MUCHAS GRACIAS FRIEND!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

To file your 1098-T please follow the steps below:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 1098T .
  3. Click Jump to 1098T in the search results.
  4. Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth).
  • If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, click Edit next to the student in question, then edit the Tuition item.

Additional Information on 1098-T's.

ramsestg

I ran into the same problem but discovered a work around while waiting on hold for Turbotax. While you are in that section, click on "Forms" at the top of the page. It'll open the form for Education deductions. There you can manually enter all of the 1098T info. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Forms will work on the desktop version very nicely.  For the online versions use the search/jump to instructions as noted above.

1. Open (continue) your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 1098T .
  3. Click Jump to 1098T in the search results.
  4. Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth)
  5. If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, click Edit next to the student in question, then edit the Tuition item.
RENEEESS

Thank you so much! That is the only way I could get to the information entered. I updated the software and everything else that was suggested and nothing else worked. Very helpful!

Thanks for your response.  It worked perfectly.

Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy!

Mikegreg

This damned program will not let me enter the tuition and fees credit information on 1098-T.  It says I entered it already.  What is wrong with this program and where do I go to enter this information.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I have not run into this issue myself, but have heard that it has happened before. 

Go to the Education Section under Deductions & Credits. 

Start the "Expenses and Scholarship" section. 

Start wherever it starts you off and go through the interview. 

I was told that it will bring you back around full circle and let you enter the 1098-T. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies