turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i filed an American Opportunity education credit tax years 2017-2020, can i file a 1098-T in for tax year 2021?

if i took American Opportunity tax credit four prior tax years for my dependent student daughter, can i take the 1098-T tax credit on my 2021 tax return?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

If i filed an American Opportunity education credit tax years 2017-2020, can i file a 1098-T in for tax year 2021?

Yes, the Lifetime Learning credit is available.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for the credit - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/eligible-lifetime...

@dwpennybacker AOTC is only available for 4 years, so no eligibilty left for that tax benefit,,....therefore, Lifetime Learning credit is the way to go. 

she is still your dependent on your 2021 tax return, right? 

The limitation is PER STUDENT ... so it sounds like the AOC was used up on  that student years ago.    Thus  if you or another dependent on the return  have qualifying education expenses and that student has not used up the AOC then you can use it again for that new student.

Hal_Al
Level 15

There is no such  thing as a "1098-T tax credit".  As others have indicated, ther are two education credits that having a 1098-T may make you eligible for. The more generous "American Opportunity Credit'' (AOC or AOTC) is limited to being claimed four times, for each student.  There is no limit to how many times the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) can be claimed.  The LLC is 20 % of tuition paid (up to $10K) and is non-refundable (it can only be used to reduce your actual tax liability).

The student must be yourself, your spouse or your dependent.

I filed an amended return for 2020 in February, it says it was completed last month in October. It was to claim the American opportunity tax credit which I had forgot to do. TurboTax showed that I would be owed 1000. I still had eligibility left as I had not completed 4 years of education and 4 years of the credit were not claimed. I haven’t received the refund and when I check my transcripts they say they were updated in October but the credit doesn’t show up. I haven’t been able to get the irs on the phone for months. Is this normal? What should I do?

@mgv213 - Can you please explain more about why you filed for the $1000? 

How old are you?

Are either of your parents alive? 

What was your filing status? 

Did anyone else (normally your parents) claim you on their tax return? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

There's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You usually must have actually paid tuition, not had it paid by scholarships & grants.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.

Reference: Line 7 instructions for form 8863. https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8863

I’m 26, paid for it myself. Did have some grants and federal loans. The grants were negligible compared to what I paid. I’m not a dependent. 

both are alive

single not married

no one claimed me

so, based on your responses, you should be eligible for the $1000.  

what does the transcript say? what are the codes for the Octbver entries?  you haven't received any correspondance, say 2-3 weeks after the last transcript entry? 

The IRS is quite backlogged on Amendments (but they have cut the backlog in half since June) so it is possible it is still 'hung up', but may be best to contact the IRS.  Best strategy I've seen is to call aroun 6:50 p.m. in your local time zone, which is close to the 7 p.m. closure time.  It's supposedly easier to get through to a live person.

Only one entry and it’s 290. 

no correspondence or notice after being completed October 7th

ive called twice, talked to a person who then said they had to transfer me, stayed on the line for 30 minutes and then the call cuts off. 

okay - and that code 290...is there a dollar figure on that same line? how much is it? 

Well it says 0 which is why I’m very confused. 

when you go to the 'where is my amendment' tool, does it say they have completed processing your amendment? if yes, then you are going to have to call (I am surprised you didn't receive a letter).  if no, more patience required, 

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/wmar/login

Manage cookies