Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbspector

How do I report qualified off campus college housing costs to avoid taxes on a 529 plan withdrawal? I cannot find an option on Turbotax to do this.

I withdrew from a 529 in 2021 to pay for tuition and housing. I received a form 1098-T for the tuition (but not the off campus housing) and a form 1099-Q for the withdrawal. But I cannot locate any option to input the housing expense so that the total qualified expenses are properly reflected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

How do I report qualified off campus college housing costs to avoid taxes on a 529 plan withdrawal? I cannot find an option on Turbotax to do this.

To report the room and board, you must first enter the 1098-T and the 1099-Q as they are reported to you. After you have entered them:

1. Go back into your 1098-T by clicking Edit/Add next to Federal > Deductions & Credits > Education > Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  2. Click Edit next to the student's name.
  3. Click Edit next to Other Education Expenses.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you pay for books or materials to attend schools and enter the amount on the Room and Board line.

TurboTax should properly apply your 1099-Q withdrawal to the room and board first in order to maximize the education credit you are eligible for. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. You also cannot count expenses that were paid by tax free scholarships. You cannot double dip! 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

TurboTax will not, usually, give you the input screen for room and board, unless you enter the 1099-Q before you enter the 1098-T. 

Another thing to be aware of: 529 money can be use for off campus living, but you are limited to the lesser of your actual costs or the school's "allowance for cost for attendance" (basically what on campus students pay for R&B).

dbspector

Thank you! Very helpful. 

dbspector

Thank you! Great information. 

This looks great except I don't see a "room and board" expense line.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Since Room & Board are only qualified expenses for a QTP distribution, TurboTax (TT) will not give you an entry point until you tell it you had a distribution.  So, enter the 1099-Q before you enter the 1098-T or you won't get that screen.  To get the screen to enter Room & Board, in the educational expenses (1098-T) section, answer yes when asked if you have book expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies