turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I know if my aid includes amounts not awarded for 2019 expenses on my 1098-T? The value of military tuition assistance and pell was higher than tuition.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I know if my aid includes amounts not awarded for 2019 expenses on my 1098-T? The value of military tuition assistance and pell was higher than tuition.

You know that from your own records. Basically, you have your answer: the value of military tuition assistance and pell was higher than tuition.  Tuition, fees and course materials (books, computers and software) are qualified expenses. Room and board are not.

I should specify more now that I'm not limited by the number of characters. I am being asked the question  "Did Your Aid Include Amounts Not Awarded for 2019 Expenses?" It states that schools sometimes will NOT report education expenses and the corresponding scholarship income on the same year's Form 1098-T." Would I select yes or no from that option, and if yes, how would I know how much of what I earned was not designated for 2019 expenses; the example makes it look as if it means that some scholarship money was meant for the previous year.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, it is common that  some scholarship money was meant for the previous or (more likely)  upcoming year.  Usually the school's billing statements will show that. 

Yes I have same situation on my 1098 T ...but it looks like the  rest of the aide is going towards 2021 Qualified expenses. So to the question I put yes? It  asks  how much of the 12472 received  in scholarships and grants or other aid was not designated for 2020? Do I subtract the 6400 from 12472 and  put difference  received in that box which would be 6072.00 

Box 1  6400 Payments received.
scholarships and grants in box 5 is 12472.  No other amounts in other boxes.  Box 8 and 9 are checked and Box 7 is checked. Box 7 says Check if box 1  includes amounts for academic year  Beginning January to March 2021.  I’m so sorry it’s very confusing.  I’ve also  read The difference has to be reported as income but I never received it . I never received any refund from the school so why would I claim it as income and it looks like the rest of scholarship  is going towards 2021.  None of the scholarship money or aide goes towards anything but qualified expenses.  I graduated in May 2020 with  Bachelors degreeand I started in the fall 2020  to do my masters. First time the 1098 T is different showing more in box 5.  Thanks 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   Do I subtract the 6400 from 12472 and  put difference  received in that box which would be 6072?

A. Yes.

Q. The difference has to be reported as income?

A. No.  Or more exactly, once you make the adjustment, there  is no longer a difference to be taxable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies