turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aspenrt20

Did not get a 1098t from cosmotology school as they do not furnish one because they are not accredited. How can I deduct enrollment fees and supply expenses?

I was enrolled and paid for cosmotology school. They do not do a 1098.  How can I deduct these costs? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Did not get a 1098t from cosmotology school as they do not furnish one because they are not accredited. How can I deduct enrollment fees and supply expenses?

were you working in cosmetology while attending school or  were any supplies purchased while working?
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are not allowed to deduct any of those expenses. You do not qualify for an education credit because the school is not an eligible institution (accredited).

You do not qualify to deduction the tuition as a job expense, because you are not currently employed in that profession.

maglib
Level 11

Who can claim an education credit?

There are additional rules for each credit, but you must meet all three of the following for both:

1. You, your dependent or a third party pays qualified education expenses for higher education.
  2. An eligible student must be enrolled at an eligible educational institution.
  3. The eligible student is yourself, your spouse or a dependent you list on your tax return.

See our videos "What do you Need to Claim an Education Credit?" and find out "What you need to prepare your tax return."

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-aotc-llc

Online Q&A from IRS if you can claim an education crhttps://www.irs.gov/help/ita/am-i-eligible-to-claim-an-education-creditedit?  
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

In 2021 I was working and cutting hair and paid off my tuition for cosmetology school. The cosmetology school I attended is not accredited. I will be  filling a schedule C for my income this year. Can I use the $5000 payment I made as an expense on my schedule C?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

No, if you would have already been a cosmetologist and took classes to increase your skills or better your business, those would have been deductible.

Schooling to change or start a new career is not considered a business expense. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

So if I get my cosmetology license and start working and then go to barber school to get my barbers license  to expand my knowledge the barber school would be able to be taken as an expense on my schedule C?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you are self-employed while increasing your skills to do the work you are currently doing, then you would be able to claim that as an expense on your schedule C.

If you became an employee and stopped being self-employed while attending barber school, then no, you would not be able to claim that as an expense even if after you were done you went back to being self-employed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies