turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T worksheet box 2 AND box 7 question

I have been reviewing the various worksheets and notice an entry in the worksheet which I do not believe is correct. I attach a screenshot below.

It so happens that when I look at my child's 2018 1098-T I find that Box 2 is blank and Box 7 has a check mark. (I can share an image of that 1098-T if that would help.)

How can I (or TT) answer such a question ("...box 2 filled in AND Box 7 checked")  when Box 2 is blank?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, I concur that you must answer the question B on the 1098-T Tuition Statement "Yes" on order for the Form 8863 question to be correctly answered "Yes".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

1098-T.PNG

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Based on the information you provided about your 2018 Form 1098-T, the answer to the 2019 tax return question B is "No".  Your 2018 Form 1098-T did not meet the dual test for both "Box 2 filled in and Box 7 checked".

Thanks, David, for your prompt response.

I wonder if in the snippet I showed, the Box 2 could be a typo (the correction overlooked by TT)? From 2018 onward, Box 2 was not supposed to be used (although it was retained on the form) and Box 1 used to show the amount actually paid.

With that explanation, the answer to the question would be YES - because in the 1098-T , Box 1 is filled and Box 7 checked.

Any thoughts? Thanks, again.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, that worksheet language is "leftover" from the time when (prior to 2018), colleges had an option to use box 1 for "Payments received" or box 2 for "Amounts billed" to report tuition.

So would it be OK to assume that it really should have said Box 1 filled AND Box 7 checked and change the answer to YES. What I showed you in the snapshot was MY change to YES. The original TT entry had been NO. I found that I could change it myself, with, so far, not changes to any outcome.

Should I retain the TT check mark of NO or change it to a YES based on the discussion above?

Thanks again for your responses.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

You should leave the box marked No.  The question is not asking about box 1.

Hello David:

Thanks again for your response. I apologize for persisting, but if I answer the question B in the student information worksheet as "NO" then it flows through to Form 8862 (which IS submitted to the IRS) and it answers a question (no. 3 in the snippet shown below) in the negative.

8863.PNG

This is clearly incorrect because in 2018, Box 7 WAS checked but Box 2 was not filled. However, answering it NO in the student worksheet causes the second part to also be seen as a negative, i.e., unchecked.

It is not possible to change this answer to question 3 in Form 8863 to YES manually. The only way to do so is to go back to the student worksheet and change the answer to question B as a YES.

That is why, in my previous message, I had asked if the text for the student worksheet was an error (overlooked typo) and if it really should have been box 1.

I feel that the answer to question B in Form 8863 is the one that should be correctly answered. As it stands, it is answered incorrectly owing to this glitch.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, I concur that you must answer the question B on the 1098-T Tuition Statement "Yes" on order for the Form 8863 question to be correctly answered "Yes".

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies