turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neumani

1098 e form. It is in my daughters name and she cannot claim it cuz she is a dependent. I tried to claim it but could not cuz it was not in my name. Please advise

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1098 e form. It is in my daughters name and she cannot claim it cuz she is a dependent. I tried to claim it but could not cuz it was not in my name. Please advise

In that case nobody can claim it.    Only the named student could claim it if not a dependent.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The student loan interest cannot be entered on a dependent's tax return and if you do not have a legal obligation for the loan payment, the interest cannot be entered on your tax return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you co-signed the loan (and are therefore legally obligated), you may deduct the interest, if you paid it, even though both the loan and the form 1098-E  are in her name. 

Otherwise, as others have said, nobody gets the deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies