turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about per diem rate and where to enter

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Question about per diem rate and where to enter

If you are referring to the standard meal allowance you can follow these instructions.  All other expenses for traveling away from home for work are based on the actual amount paid for your tax return deductions.

  • Amount of standard meal allowance.   The standard meal allowance is the federal M&IE rate. For travel in 2016, the rate for most small localities in the United States is $51 a day.
  • While you are logged into your TurboTax Deluxe Account
    • My Account > Tools > Topic Search
    • Type meals, select self-employed or as employee
    • Go
    • Continue to make your entries
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies