Parents do not receive stimulus checks for children older than 16. If your parents claimed you as a dependent for 2020 then you are still not eligible for a stimulus check---dependents do not receive stimulus checks.
If you were in high school in 2020 that means you were a full-time student for 2020 and your parents can claim you as a dependent for 2020.
Here's who won't get a stimulus check:
- Children who are 17 or 18 years old.
- Many college students between the ages of 19 to 23.
- Adults who can be claimed as dependents.
- Nonresident aliens (in other words, those without a green card).
- Individuals who earn more than $99,000 or married couples earning more than $198,000.
- People who haven't filed 2018 and 2019 tax returns.
Who's a "child"?
Older children are excluded because the bill relies on a tax-code definition of "child" that states a "qualifying child ... has not attained age 17." In other words, many high school juniors and seniors and their families won't receive a $500 check from the stimulus bill.