turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s_buck3

MN Student Loan-- I keep getting a warning to fix an error. Support could not help. It says Schedule M1SLC TP Qualified Loan Amount Must be entered for line 7.

Fix Minnesota Return then Check This Entry--When I enter it ($5000 max) it just keeps looping me back to the same page and error report saying All W-2, 1099, W-2G information for Schedule M1W should be entered on Federal Return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

39 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

MN Student Loan-- I keep getting a warning to fix an error. Support could not help. It says Schedule M1SLC TP Qualified Loan Amount Must be entered for line 7.

If you meet the qualifications stated in Student Loan Credit | Minnesota Department of Revenue ,you can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

If you are online, go to tax tools>tools > share file with agent > 6 digit number pops up.

If on desktop, go to online >send tax file to agent > number pops.

Reply with the 6 digit # here and @AmyC please

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
droen3

How do I contact @AmyC privately in reference to question

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There is no way to privately contact someone in this department, a public forum. There is a social media team you can privately dm- direct message-  with Facebook and twitter.

If you need eyes on your return for an issue, you can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

If you are online, go to tax tools>tools > share file with agent > 6 digit number pops up.

Otherwise, you are welcome to contact the phone team and let them help you.

@droen3

PsyDanny1
Returning Member

I got the same thing.  Just got a code.  Can I send that to you as well?

PsyDanny1
Returning Member

PsyDanny1
Returning Member

I try calling and the robo help sends irrelevant stuff.  When I ask for a representative it cannot parse my name correctly, and unable to find an account, hangs up on me.  Searching "M1SLC" from the desktop, I find this answer from 2018 - it seems problem the current 2021 app is asking the first question about the amount paid toward qualified student loans, but then does NOT go to the next screen where one would enter the total amount of qualified student loan original balances used to pay for secondary education OR $5000, whichever is less.  Consequently Form M1SLC is not  complete and cannot forward values to for M1C, so the error catches that but apparently there is no way to complete these forms; hence the loop and the inability to file the forms.

How do we make TurboTax know about this technical error so they can fix it?

Minnesota student loan credit?

by geraldheppner32Updated January 05, 2022
How to get it in my tax form (turbotax screens steps) ?

Best Answer

by TurboTaxJulieCo

As you prepare your Minnesota tax return in TurboTax, you will eventually be brought to a screen that is titled "Let's Check for Minnesota Nontaxable Income."  This screen lists the Student Loan Credit as one of the items.  See sample screenshot attached.  Select YESthat you want to see if you qualify for those benefits. 

After this, you will be brought through several screens until you come to one labeled "Student Loan Credit" where you can select whether you made any qualified education loan payments. Select YES and then you will be brought to the screen where you enter the amount paid toward qualified student loans in 2018. See sample screenshot attached.

The next screen is where you will enter the total amount of qualified student loan original balances used to pay for secondary education OR $5000, whichever is less.  The credit will then be calculated on that amount.  See sample screenshot attached.  The next screen should confirm the amount of your student loan credit to be included on your Minnesota return.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Student Loan Credit | Minnesota Department of Revenue states:

Credit Amount

The credit amount depends on your income, loan payments, and original loan amount. The maximum credit is $500 each year or $1,000 for married couples filing a joint return.

Please look at the form, line 5, you have a negative number so the instructions say to stop, you don't qualify. However, the program is trying to let you file the form without the credit. Delete the form, delete the student loan payments.

@PsyDanny1

Can you explain how you delete the form if your number in line 5 is a - number?

kriewer14

I am getting this same message. And the page does say we do not qualify.

So it is okay to go back and just delete the number for student payments we did make? 

nicholetd

You cant delete the form by clicking the FORMS button in the upper right (3rd icon from the edge). Then scroll to your MN tax return and click on M1SLC in the left nav, then delete in the bottom bar. I'm getting frustrated with this form, too!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

For the review error, when the screen says Qualified Loan Amount, scroll up to the top, line 1 and delete that amount. This will solve the problem. Run review again, no errors. File!

@kriewer14

@nicholetd

@bres1

@PsyDanny1

Thank you!!

Do you know why it won't let me file MN state taxes online? Is giving me an error but not telling me what error as to why I can't file the state online? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

@bres1 Where does it give the error, at the filing stage or review?

Error is at the filing stage.

@AmyC 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies