• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwpennybacker

If i filed an American Opportunity education credit tax years 2017-2020, can i file a 1098-T in for tax year 2021?

if i took American Opportunity tax credit four prior tax years for my dependent student daughter, can i take the 1098-T tax credit on my 2021 tax return?  
4 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

If i filed an American Opportunity education credit tax years 2017-2020, can i file a 1098-T in for tax year 2021?

Yes, the Lifetime Learning credit is available.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for the credit - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/eligible-lifetime...

NCperson
Level 15

@dwpennybacker AOTC is only available for 4 years, so no eligibilty left for that tax benefit,,....therefore, Lifetime Learning credit is the way to go. 

she is still your dependent on your 2021 tax return, right? 

Critter-3
Level 15

The limitation is PER STUDENT ... so it sounds like the AOC was used up on  that student years ago.    Thus  if you or another dependent on the return  have qualifying education expenses and that student has not used up the AOC then you can use it again for that new student.

Hal_Al
Level 15

There is no such  thing as a "1098-T tax credit".  As others have indicated, ther are two education credits that having a 1098-T may make you eligible for. The more generous "American Opportunity Credit'' (AOC or AOTC) is limited to being claimed four times, for each student.  There is no limit to how many times the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) can be claimed.  The LLC is 20 % of tuition paid (up to $10K) and is non-refundable (it can only be used to reduce your actual tax liability).

The student must be yourself, your spouse or your dependent.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v