Solved: I want to select a different option for my education credit; the system forces the Lifetime Education credit. I want to use my tuition to lower my overall income.

lcevie

I want to select a different option for my education credit; the system forces the Lifetime Education credit. I want to use my tuition to lower my overall income.

Is there a way to "force" the system to run the other option?

HelenaC

Yes, there is. See the instructions below on how to use letme.

Generally speaking, the IRS only lets you take one education credit or deduction.

• If you qualify for two or more education credits or deductions, the TurboTax Education Optimizer picks the one that gives you the biggest tax break.
  • To override  this selection, search for letme (one word, no space) in your TurboTax program's search box.
  • This will take you to the Education Credits and Deduction screen, where you can switch to a different education credit or deduction, assuming you meet the qualifications.
Related Information:

HelenaC

Related Information:

EvanM1

If this solution ever worked, it doesn't now. Selecting "jump to letme" just literally brings you to this Q&A page, and doesn't change anything.

Hal_Al

After typing> letme <in the search box, do not click on "jump to letme". Instead click on "letme". Then click on the  "jump to letme" link.