cornwelltaxmail

I received a 1099-MISC for reimbursement for expenses for being a medical research patient. Is it taxable, how do I report it?

KittyM

You are correct; this is taxable as Other Income, but it is NOT subject to employment taxes.  To enter it on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Sign into your return and Take me to my return.
  • Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "1099-MISC for Research Study," the amount you received, and who received it.
Thank you for your participation in medical research. 
greencode96

Hey so on the 1099 form they sent me they have the total amount they paid me. This include travel expanse compensation. Which to my knowledge is exempt. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/research-study-for-rare-disease/00/14...

What do I put on the line? The amount they sent me on the form or the amount I was paid minus travel comp.

For example, if they listed 700 on the form, and 170 of that was travel comp. do I put 530 on the other income box or 700.

DMarkM1

Put in $530 for "other income." Travel reimbursements for medical research are excluded from income.  Be sure to keep your travel receipts and reimbursement documents.