turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvancra

I had to repay tuition reimbursement to my previous employer in 2017 (2015/2016 classes) because I left that employer. Can I deduct those amounts and under what type?

I did not get a 1098T for those amounts in 2017... so not sure how to enter the amount (close to $4,000)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I had to repay tuition reimbursement to my previous employer in 2017 (2015/2016 classes) because I left that employer. Can I deduct those amounts and under what type?

You will need to amend your returns for the past 2 years to reflect that you actually paid those tuition expenses out of your own pocket. You will need to find or re-create your Form 1098-T or your tuition bills from that year to provide the information needed to claim the tax benefit. Your college financial aid office or bursar should be able to provide some help with this.

When you receive a tuition reimbursement, you are not allowed to claim any education tax benefits in the form of credits or deductions (up to the amount of the reimbursement) because you've already received the benefit as tax-free from your employer (up to $5,250). I would also check your old W-2s to ensure that none of the reimbursements were included in your wages as this would also affect your tax return amendments. Employers are generally required to include any amount of reimbursement over $5,250 in one fiscal year in taxable wages.

However, you had to repay the reimbursement, so it is as if you did not receive it. Therefore you are able to claim the education expense deduction and any related credits in your amendments in the year in which the expenses were paid.

Of course, if you have not yet filed your 2017 tax return when you do you can claim any 2017 education expenses as well as any education credits you may qualify for.

You can find instructions on how to amend your return for previous years in the FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelDC

You will need to amend your returns for the past 2 years to reflect that you actually paid those tuition expenses out of your own pocket. You will need to find or re-create your Form 1098-T or your tuition bills from that year to provide the information needed to claim the tax benefit. Your college financial aid office or bursar should be able to provide some help with this.

When you receive a tuition reimbursement, you are not allowed to claim any education tax benefits in the form of credits or deductions (up to the amount of the reimbursement) because you've already received the benefit as tax-free from your employer (up to $5,250). I would also check your old W-2s to ensure that none of the reimbursements were included in your wages as this would also affect your tax return amendments. Employers are generally required to include any amount of reimbursement over $5,250 in one fiscal year in taxable wages.

However, you had to repay the reimbursement, so it is as if you did not receive it. Therefore you are able to claim the education expense deduction and any related credits in your amendments in the year in which the expenses were paid.

Of course, if you have not yet filed your 2017 tax return when you do you can claim any 2017 education expenses as well as any education credits you may qualify for.

You can find instructions on how to amend your return for previous years in the FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

To add to this question...Can you withdraw from your IRA without penalties, if you need to repay your employer for the tuition, rather than paying the college directly?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, the IRS requires that you are an eligible student the year you withdraw the money. See IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education , page 55.

@janeabs1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies