turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughters 1098-T box 5 is bigger than box 1 but her scholarships only covered about half her expenses

After entering information and seeing 1098T box 5 is bigger than box 2. I know the difference is NOT income, the student loans back me up on that. She had scholarships but they only cover about half her cost. I have the list the school provides (asked in another questionhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4370867-my-childs-school-has-a-list-of-qualified-1098-t-eligible-f...) of qualified tuition and expenses they charge and an account summary for my daughter's charges. So before I say the heck with this and go pay a tax professional to do this years taxes knowing I will throw away the $50 I spent on TT
Why is it showing an excess and how do I fix that on both our returns? 
How am I supposed to know what the scholarships paid for?

Do I go through school invoices?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

My daughters 1098-T box 5 is bigger than box 1 but her scholarships only covered about half her expenses

I am assuming you are claiming your daughter as a depedent?

What you want to determine for the credit is the total expenses paid in 2017 You possibly paid for Spring (Jan, Feb, March) 2017 but this might have been on last years 2016 1098-T .  I do not know if this is her first year of school. But the rules are clear, what ever qualifying expenses were paid in 2017, will be used to calculate the credit.

1098-T will only include qualified education amounts in box 2.  It will not include room and board and other non-qualified expenses.  Do you know if some of her scholarships were for room and board?  If so, that would explain why there is more money in box 5 than box 2.  (Box 2 should not include non-qualifying expenses) 

So yes I guess you have to go through school statements to get what was paid  (either by you or with scholarships) in 2017.   You will still probably have to include additional out of pocket expenses for books.

Next, you need to know the character of the scholarships.  If some were for room and board, these will be taxable (probably to your daughter) because room and board are not qualifying expenses.

So if you have For Example $10,000 of qualifying tuition and $12,000 of scholarships (unrestricted), and $5000 room and board,  we will apply $5000 of scholarship income to pay room and board $5000.   That leaves $7000 scholarships and $10,000  tuition expenses.  The credit would be computed on $3000., left over qualifying expenses.

Since there is excess scholarship money or (scholarship money that paid non-qualifying expenses  The scholarships ($5000) in my example these will be reported on your daughter's tax return.   If that is your daughter's only income, she will not be required to file a returnuntil she has income over $6350.

I am attaching  additional explanation below that comes from Turbo Tax program "Is there a way to increase my credit"

Is there a way to increase my credit?  From Turbo Tax on Demand Guidance

If you qualify for an education credit, the amount of credit you receive is based upon the total qualified education expenses you have. Tax free assistance, such as scholarships and grants, reduce your qualified expenses and, in turn, the amount of education credit you may receive. You may be able to increase an education credit if you choose to apply certain scholarships and grants against unqualified expenses (such as room and board) and reduce them instead. The new allocation will include that tax free assistance in income. However, the possible larger education credit may more than offset any tax due on the increased income.

Note: The terms of the scholarship or grant must allow it to be used for expenses other than qualified education expenses (such as room and board) to use this potential tax saving technique.

Example: Danielle had $5,000 of tuition expenses and $4,000 of room and board for fall 2017 when she went to college. She received a $5,000 grant in which the terms did not restrict its usage. Her parents paid the remainder of Danielle's expenses and claimed her as a dependent. If the grant is used to offset her tuition, there will be no qualified education expenses left to figure the credit ($5,000 - $5,000 = $0). The credit will be zero.

If, however, $4,000 of the grant is applied against the room and board and the remaining $1,000 applied against tuition, there will still be $4,000 of qualified education expenses to figure the credit $(5,000 - $1,000 = $4,000). That $4,000 in qualified expenses could entitle Danielle's parents to the maximum of $2,500 in education credits if all the other requirements are met. Danielle would need to include the $4,000 in income if she is required to file a tax return. If this is her only income, she would not be required to file.

TurboTax will default to applying tax free assistance against education expenses qualifying for the credit. An entry in "Total used" on the "Pay for Room and Board" screen will change this allocation.

yes as my dependent and 2017 is her first year of college
Carl
Level 15

Basically, after entering the 1098-T exactly as printed, screens that follow will ask you for scholarships and expenses that were not included on the 1098-T. So it "should" all work out for you in the wash. Just remember these things:
Schools work in academic years, while the IRS does not. So the reality is, it takes you five tax years to get that four year degree. So with that said:
 - Scholarships/grants are reported as taxable income (initially) in the tax year they are received. It does not matter what tax year the scholarship/grant is *for*.
Tuition and other qualified expenses are claimed/reported in the tax year they are paid. It does not matter what year is paid *for*.
So with that, you want to make sure you pay for the last semester of the senior year (which will be the 5th calendar year) before the end of the first semester of the senior year. That way, you won't risk losing out on those credits that can only be claimed a maximum of four tax years.

One more question
I got a breakdown from the U on her 1098 and what each scholarship/loans paid for. The eligible fees and tuition paid by loans were $2722 and those are not on the 1098 breakdown
Do I enter this $2722 as "other education expenses"?
Carl
Level 15

Basically, as stated above, after you enter the 1098-T, screens that follow will ask you for qualified education expenses, as well as any scholarships and grants that were not included on the 1098-T.
Most of the time and for some (not all) it's actually easier to disregard the 1098-T and use your own records. For the "bible" of what you can claim, the student can log into their online college account, go to their financials section and get a detailed breakdown there. But I forewarn you on this:
 Remember what I said above about schools academic years and the IRS calendar years. On the student's printout it may show a detailed breakdown of what specific class an amount was applied to, the start date of the class, the date the payment was applied, etc., etc., etc. It's important to not let dates throw you off. You only want the date/tax year a payment was credited/applied. You should completely ignore the start date of the class that payment applies to.
One things about disregarding the 1098-T that's important. If you do, you can't claim the AOC (American Opportunity Credit). Per IRS Publication 970 at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf</a> page 9, first item under "Reminders"
"To be eligible to claim the American opportunity credit, the law requires a taxpayer (or a dependent) to have received Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, from an eligible educational institution."
Now from what I see and the way I interpret it, there is no requirement for you to "report" the 1098-T on your tax return. Only a requirement that you "received" a 1098-T. So if you disregard the 1098-T on your tax return, keep that form forever, in case the IRS ever audits you on that and denies you that credit, if you qualify for it and actually claim it.

well it looks like I've got all I can get out of this as the Date Paid was January 2 2018 so I guess I'll have that next year, looks like an ARFCOMMER avatar you got there Carl, never mind if you don't know what that is but Thanks Carl and Kerri

well it looks like I've got all I can get out of this as the Date Paid was January 2 2018 so I guess I'll have that next year, looks like an ARFCOMMER avatar you got there Carl, never mind if you don't know what that is but Thanks Carl and Kerri
Carl
Level 15

Just keep in mind that it takes 5 calendar years to get that 4 year degree. So after that 5th calendar year, things tend to "work out in the wash". There is one thing that I like to stress though for those that will be starting their senior year in the current (2018) tax year. That is, pay all qualified expenses for that senior year before the end of the first semester. That allows the biggest bang for the buck on the education credits.
For example,  you can only take the AOC for four calendar years. So if you pay only the first semester of the senior year and claim the AOC, you're done. Since the 2nd semester starts in January of the 5th calendar year, if you wait until then to pay the 2nd semester for the senior year, you can't take the AOC if you already took it the first 4 calendar years. So you lose out.
JohnT2

My son's scholarship amount box 5 ($17,000) is about $5000 more than Box 1 ($12,000) tuition paid. Turbotax will not let me apply only $8000 of the scholarship to cover part of the tuition (which would leave $4000 coming from my own money). I want to do this so that I can get the AOTC. Do I have to file paper forms to do this, or is there a way in Turbotax to allocate only a portion of the scholarship toward tuition?

JohnT2

Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to Fill out the "Education Information" on the "Here's your education summary" page. In addition, I had specified that I used $9,000 of the ($17k) scholarship for Room and Board, so that only left $8000 of the scholarship to apply to the $12,000 tuition, leaving $4000 that was tuition paid by me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies