turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can one take miscellaneous schedule A teacher deductions for graduate school costs if the District is paying tuition?

I am a teacher and my district is paying my graduate school tuition, so I can't deduct tuition costs.  Since the school district is paying,  can I deduct my travel costs, meals, lodging as miscellaneous schedule a teacher expenses as long as the total cost exceeds 2% of my total income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Can one take miscellaneous schedule A teacher deductions for graduate school costs if the District is paying tuition?

Generally, you can deduct as miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% limit the costs of work-related education or training. Since those costs are being borne for you by your school district and cannot be deducted.

Room and board, travel, and other personal expenses are not considered educational expenses, and would not be deductible.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Generally, you can deduct as miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% limit the costs of work-related education or training. Since those costs are being borne for you by your school district and cannot be deducted.

Room and board, travel, and other personal expenses are not considered educational expenses, and would not be deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies