turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jawslg
Returning Member

Where do i enter tuition fees

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Don't enter your 1098-T if your employer reimbursed you for the tuition. Otherwise:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if it's not already open.
  2. In the search box, search for 1098-T or 1098T (lower-case works also) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?
  • If you land on the Let's estimate how much you could get this year, click Skip this.
  • If you land on the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, first select Edit next to an existing student or select Add a new one before proceeding.
  • Answer any questions that follow. After a few screens, you'll be asked if you received a 1098-T. Answer Yes and click Continue.
  • Enter your Form 1098-T exactly as you see it, even if you think it's wrong. Here are some important tips:
    • If any boxes on your 1098-T are blank, leave them blank. Don't enter 0 (this may cause errors later).
    • If boxes 1 or 2 on your 1098-T form are wrong, enter those amounts anyway. Then click What if this is not what I paid? right below box 2 and enter the correct amount of tuition paid.
    • Don't include grants not already listed in Box 5. We'll ask about those later.
  • Click Continue when you're done entering the information from your 1098-T. Answer any additional questions on the following screens.
  • View solution in original post

11 Replies
    MichaelMc

Don't enter your 1098-T if your employer reimbursed you for the tuition. Otherwise:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if it's not already open.
    2. In the search box, search for 1098-T or 1098T (lower-case works also) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
    3. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?
    • If you land on the Let's estimate how much you could get this year, click Skip this.
    • If you land on the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, first select Edit next to an existing student or select Add a new one before proceeding.
  • Answer any questions that follow. After a few screens, you'll be asked if you received a 1098-T. Answer Yes and click Continue.
  • Enter your Form 1098-T exactly as you see it, even if you think it's wrong. Here are some important tips:
    • If any boxes on your 1098-T are blank, leave them blank. Don't enter 0 (this may cause errors later).
    • If boxes 1 or 2 on your 1098-T form are wrong, enter those amounts anyway. Then click What if this is not what I paid? right below box 2 and enter the correct amount of tuition paid.
    • Don't include grants not already listed in Box 5. We'll ask about those later.
  • Click Continue when you're done entering the information from your 1098-T. Answer any additional questions on the following screens.
  • Where do i enter tuition fees

What if I accidentally entered 0 for tuition and fees? 

JamesG1
    Expert Alumni

You can delete or update your education expenses.  Follow these directions:

• Click on Federal Taxes
    • Click on Deductions and Credits
    • Under Your tax breaks, to the right of Expenses and Scholarships, click on Edit/Add
    • You may have to continue through several screens to reach Your Education Expenses Summary.
    • Under Your Education Expenses Summary, click on Delete to remove the expenses, Edit to update the information.

See also.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You so much for your help

lormar40

I have a 1098-T from my son's college and his name and tin # are on it. Box 1 notes 55,455 and box 5 indicates 26,461.  Where do I input these?  On my return the tuition and enrollment fees notes 0 and says you enter this number previously.  I don't recall doing that.

ThomasM125
    Expert Alumni

You will enter the form 1098-T in the "Education" section under "Expenses and Scholarships (for 1098-T)." It is in the "Deductions and Credits" section in TurboTax. It does not matter that the form is in your child's name, as long as he was your dependent.

If there is an entry there that does not belong, you can delete that entry and enter a new form 1098-T. 

Hi. 

I can't enter the 1098T or edit it to delete next to the student.

i jumped to 1098T and answer yes, but tuition is marked $0 and the explanation says, you entered this earlier.

I can add required and non required fees, but can't change the tiuition.

So i tried to delete, and there is no edit button next to the student(no choice for student at all).  

I also tried to start education section over, but all is the same.

Shouldn't matter, but student was 22, went full time for Spring Semester. No loans, and i claim as dependent.

Any reasons?

LinaJ2020
    Expert Alumni

To enter your Form 1098-T information, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
    • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
    • Select Jump to 1098t
    • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
    • Follow prompts
    • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
    • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
    • See the images below.

@Monte_Alban

Monte Alban, I had the same issue with the Desktop version. To edit the $0 go to top BLACK BAR:

VIEW>

FORMS>

select 

1098-T Wks

Enter your tuition amount in Box 1

Thanks preguero, they haven't fixed this bug in this year's version.

Thank you.  This worked.  It's too bad that Turbo Tax gets paid, but expects customers to man the service lines for free!  Nevertheless, thank you - your answer saved me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies