1098 e form. It is in my daughters name and she ca...

neumani

1098 e form. It is in my daughters name and she cannot claim it cuz she is a dependent. I tried to claim it but could not cuz it was not in my name. Please advise

macuser_22

In that case nobody can claim it.    Only the named student could claim it if not a dependent.

The student loan interest cannot be entered on a dependent's tax return and if you do not have a legal obligation for the loan payment, the interest cannot be entered on your tax return.

Hal_Al

If you co-signed the loan (and are therefore legally obligated), you may deduct the interest, if you paid it, even though both the loan and the form 1098-E  are in her name. 

Otherwise, as others have said, nobody gets the deduction.