turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tiller86

The business I worked with last year is refusing to provide a 1099.

I worked almost 10 months for them doing outside sales, advertising and dispatch. I worked from home and kept my own hours. I got paid a fixed rate for different task (EX: dispatching a call or acquiring a new property to service) and self managed my work day. I was paid usually 2 times a weeks typically 200-250 each time in cash. I grossed a little over 14,000 total. The owner (who is under police investigation) insist a 1099 is for only payments over 600. From what I understand it accumulates for the year if paid to the same person.

I understand how to report the income without the form but I am really not looking to get in trouble with the Government. I do have written records of all the work and pay I received but with my low amount of income and fairly large return due to dependents I am worried I will flag. Would it be best to be proactive and call the IRS with my issue or would I be better off filing and providing the facts if I do get singled out?

The only other income I have is about 700 and that I was provided a W2 for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are correct that the $600 is over the entire year.  You should have been issued a 1099Misc. 

Your return will not be flagged for this and this situation is actually more common than you think. 

You would go ahead and report the income as General Income in business section of the Self-Employed program you have.  It is right after the income from a 1099Misc.  Your obligation remains the same to report all of your income regardless if you got a 1099Misc or not.

You do not need to provide any evidence when you file, other than listing all your income and expenses. 

The W-2 will be reported on the same return, just in the W-2 section.

You are not in any trouble for not receiving a 1099, and after you finish your return and file, you can call IRS (1-800-829-1040) or send then a letter with the detail about not getting a 1099Misc from this company.  Provide detail such as name address and phone number so IRS can contact them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are correct that the $600 is over the entire year.  You should have been issued a 1099Misc. 

Your return will not be flagged for this and this situation is actually more common than you think. 

You would go ahead and report the income as General Income in business section of the Self-Employed program you have.  It is right after the income from a 1099Misc.  Your obligation remains the same to report all of your income regardless if you got a 1099Misc or not.

You do not need to provide any evidence when you file, other than listing all your income and expenses. 

The W-2 will be reported on the same return, just in the W-2 section.

You are not in any trouble for not receiving a 1099, and after you finish your return and file, you can call IRS (1-800-829-1040) or send then a letter with the detail about not getting a 1099Misc from this company.  Provide detail such as name address and phone number so IRS can contact them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies