tiller86

The business I worked with last year is refusing to provide a 1099.

I worked almost 10 months for them doing outside sales, advertising and dispatch. I worked from home and kept my own hours. I got paid a fixed rate for different task (EX: dispatching a call or acquiring a new property to service) and self managed my work day. I was paid usually 2 times a weeks typically 200-250 each time in cash. I grossed a little over 14,000 total. The owner (who is under police investigation) insist a 1099 is for only payments over 600. From what I understand it accumulates for the year if paid to the same person.

I understand how to report the income without the form but I am really not looking to get in trouble with the Government. I do have written records of all the work and pay I received but with my low amount of income and fairly large return due to dependents I am worried I will flag. Would it be best to be proactive and call the IRS with my issue or would I be better off filing and providing the facts if I do get singled out?

The only other income I have is about 700 and that I was provided a W2 for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.