Will I receive the $1400 stimulus with my tax refu...

zrichard17-gmail

Will I receive the $1400 stimulus with my tax refund? I filed before the third stimulus was approved and I did not receive the second or third stimulus yet

This is my first time filing taxes. I received the first stimulus payment.

The $1400 is not part of your 2020 tax refund.   If you are eligible it is sent separately by the IRS.

TurboTax cannot track your 3rd stimulus or tell you when it will arrive.  The IRS is issuing 3rd stimulus checks on its own timetable.

You can use the IRS Get My Payment site to see what is expected for your 3rd stimulus check:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

DanaB27

The third stimulus payment is separately send by the IRS. You can check IRS Get My Payment for details.

• If you have an adjusted gross income (AGI) under $75,000 ($150,000 married filing jointly), you will be eligible for the full $1,400 stimulus payment.  
  • Payments will begin to be reduced for individuals making $75,000 or above in AGI ($150,000 for married filing jointly.)
  • Once your AGI reaches $80,000 for individuals ($160,000 married filing jointly) you will be ineligible for a payment.

Please see How will the third stimulus impact me? for more information.

If you did not receive the second stimulus payment then you were able to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return if you met the requirements. Please check line 30 of your Form 1040 if the Recovery Rebate Credit was included on your return.

To be eligible for the credit you need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020 and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.

You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else to be eligible. 

Your credit amount will be reduced if your 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above. (IRS FAQ Recovery Rebate Credit )

To claim the credit in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

If you did not claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return but were eligible, then you will have to file an amended tax return (1040X) after your original returns has been processed.  Please be aware that you can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return. Please see FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

The IRS says this:

We’ll send the third payments each week to eligible individuals as we continue to process tax returns. Payments are sent by direct deposit or mail as a check or debit card.