Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax Business 2023 say I am required to file a state business income tax return for an estate in Texas?

I'm using TT Business 2023 (desktop version) to file the final  federal income tax return (Form 1041 for Estates and Trusts) for a person that died in 2023.  The return is very simple, having one income item (Schedule K-1) and one deduction.  After completing the federal review portion, TT moves to State Taxes where it declares: "This year, you are required to file a state business income tax return in Texas.  This state business return is not available in TurboTax. To complete this return, visit your department of revenue and download the appropriate forms to print or file separately.

To my knowledge and after doing some online research, Texas requires no such return.

Why does TurboTax claim a state return for Texas is necessary?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Why does TurboTax Business 2023 say I am required to file a state business income tax return for an estate in Texas?

Estates are not subject to taxation by the state of Texas.  This may have been a generic message that pops up with TurboTax Business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The TT message is not generic. It erroneously states without uncertainty that I am required to file a return in Texas. Although it does call it a "state business income tax return" as opposed to an estate return.  I attached a screenshot below. Intuit should correct this error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies