Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We started an LLC 8 years ago. When I looked it up I thought that a husband and wife LLC could file as a passthrough entity. Now I found I was wrong. How do I fix this?

I found out because we did a 1031 exchange and had to fill out the W9 as a partnership. I argued with the 1031 company and realized my mistake. We have never filed under the LLC but have paid all the taxes under our joint tax return.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

We started an LLC 8 years ago. When I looked it up I thought that a husband and wife LLC could file as a passthrough entity. Now I found I was wrong. How do I fix this?

What state are you in? A husband and wife LLC in a community property state can be treated as a disregarded entity, which is what you have been doing. If you are not in a community property state, a husband and wife LLC has to be treated as a partnership, and has to file a Form 1065 partnership tax return.

A pass-through entity is not the same as a disregarded entity. (That might be what confused you.) A partnership is a pass-through entity, not a disregarded entity.

Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

@bboggess76 wrote:
I found out because we did a 1031 exchange and had to fill out the W9 as a partnership. 

Everything posted by @rjs is 100% accurate, but did you ever apply for an EIN for the LLC, @bboggess76?

If not, the IRS was almost certainly never expecting an income tax return (Form 1065) from the LLC and exactly what tax ID number did you enter on the W-9?

Regardless, if you did not hold the interest as community property in a community property state, you might want to consult with a tax professional, in person.

if you do not live in a community property state definitely see a tax pro. the penalty for failure to file form 1065 for an H&W LLC is about $5,000 per year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies