turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We started an LLC 8 years ago. When I looked it up I thought that a husband and wife LLC could file as a passthrough entity. Now I found I was wrong. How do I fix this?

I found out because we did a 1031 exchange and had to fill out the W9 as a partnership. I argued with the 1031 company and realized my mistake. We have never filed under the LLC but have paid all the taxes under our joint tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

We started an LLC 8 years ago. When I looked it up I thought that a husband and wife LLC could file as a passthrough entity. Now I found I was wrong. How do I fix this?

What state are you in? A husband and wife LLC in a community property state can be treated as a disregarded entity, which is what you have been doing. If you are not in a community property state, a husband and wife LLC has to be treated as a partnership, and has to file a Form 1065 partnership tax return.

A pass-through entity is not the same as a disregarded entity. (That might be what confused you.) A partnership is a pass-through entity, not a disregarded entity.

Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

@bboggess76 wrote:
I found out because we did a 1031 exchange and had to fill out the W9 as a partnership. 

Everything posted by @rjs is 100% accurate, but did you ever apply for an EIN for the LLC, @bboggess76?

If not, the IRS was almost certainly never expecting an income tax return (Form 1065) from the LLC and exactly what tax ID number did you enter on the W-9?

Regardless, if you did not hold the interest as community property in a community property state, you might want to consult with a tax professional, in person.

if you do not live in a community property state definitely see a tax pro. the penalty for failure to file form 1065 for an H&W LLC is about $5,000 per year. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies