Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DO i need to issue a 1099-Misc to an S Corp?

My business which is a single person LLC, employed services of an S Corp for about 18000 dollars in 2014. Do i need to issue a 1099-MISC to this corporation? I read that corporations are exempt from 1099-MISC, If corporations are exempt from 1099-MISC how are they taxed for this income? 
I need to show this amount as an expense to my business.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You do not need to provide a corporation (including an S-corporation) a Form 1099-MISC.

If corporations are exempt from 1099-MISC how are they taxed for this income? 

You shouldn't report income based on Forms 1099-MISC.  Rather, you should keep adequate records of your business income and expenses and base your return on those records.  One reason is because even for non-corporations, not all people who should issue Forms 1099-MISC do.  Another reason is much of their income is not required to be on a Form 1099-MISC if provided to a nonbusiness.  As an example, a heating and air condition company, or a pest control company, providing services to private homes would not receive any Forms 1099-MISC, but are still required to report all of their income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You do not need to provide a corporation (including an S-corporation) a Form 1099-MISC.

If corporations are exempt from 1099-MISC how are they taxed for this income? 

You shouldn't report income based on Forms 1099-MISC.  Rather, you should keep adequate records of your business income and expenses and base your return on those records.  One reason is because even for non-corporations, not all people who should issue Forms 1099-MISC do.  Another reason is much of their income is not required to be on a Form 1099-MISC if provided to a nonbusiness.  As an example, a heating and air condition company, or a pest control company, providing services to private homes would not receive any Forms 1099-MISC, but are still required to report all of their income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies