turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cm85

Does anyone know how it's possible I'm paying close to $2000 in taxes from $6897 in real estate income on schedule from the schedule K-1 Form 1065 I received?

I had completed my taxes and was due for a $450ish refund from federal and $300 from State of Indiana before I add the K-1 income in. After that is factored in, it brings my fed to owe almost $1300 and my state at a $2 refund, about a $2,000 swing. It was the same last year. This seems insane for only $6897 of real state income from the partnership associated with the K1 Form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Does anyone know how it's possible I'm paying close to $2000 in taxes from $6897 in real estate income on schedule from the schedule K-1 Form 1065 I received?

The IRS considers your distributive share of partnership income as being income from "self-employment."  Consequently, on that income you'll pay the 15.3% self employment tax as well as income tax.

So if you're in, say, the 15% tax bracket, then $6897 in SE income will generate over $2000 in tax, though you do get to deduct half the SE tax from your gross income (thus saving you 15% of the amount deducted, in that bracket).

That's how IRS taxes SE income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

The IRS considers your distributive share of partnership income as being income from "self-employment."  Consequently, on that income you'll pay the 15.3% self employment tax as well as income tax.

So if you're in, say, the 15% tax bracket, then $6897 in SE income will generate over $2000 in tax, though you do get to deduct half the SE tax from your gross income (thus saving you 15% of the amount deducted, in that bracket).

That's how IRS taxes SE income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies