turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problems with W-7 and Passport

My husband has an SSN and I don't have one so we mailed our tax refund with W-7 form and my passport (to get me an ITIN). We mailed it to Fresno California IRS, afterwards I found out that we should mail it to Texas office. So now 6 weeks passed and we didn't get any refund, our status on IRS site is unknown. What I need to do to get my passport back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The application was probably forwarded to the correct office for processing since mail is sent to the incorrect addresses all the time(this can add a couple of weeks to the process)  ... and the processing of the W-7 can take months and then 6+ weeks more to process the federal return so patience will be needed (and you may never show on the WMR tool).

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?

If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks. If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence seven weeks after applying, call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 to request the status of your application if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number).

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/general-itin-information

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi, I made the same error. Could you please update how  irs deals this issue and when did you received your tax return, passport and ITIN number?

@umeshshahu1 They have forwarded our documents to the right address, we waited a little longer (don't remember exactly how long, something in between 1-3 months), but in the end we get back our passport, ITIN, and everything turned out just fine.

Do you know how long it will take to get a refund after you get the itin I went to the IRS and submitted there and how long does it take to get the itin I been waiting almost 6 weeks for my wife itin

The application was probably forwarded to the correct office for processing since mail is sent to the incorrect addresses all the time(this can add a couple of weeks to the process)  ... and the processing of the W-7 can take months and then 6+ weeks more to process the federal return so patience will be needed (and you may never show on the WMR tool).

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?

If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks. If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence seven weeks after applying, call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 to request the status of your application if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number).

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/general-itin-information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies